Mass Non-Trespass in the Downs 25th January]

Mark mark at tlio.org.uk
Thu Jan 22 21:10:04 GMT 2009

Subject: Fw: Mass Non-Trespass in the Downs 25th January
From:    "David Bangs" <dave at brightondowns.co.uk>

Dear folks
Can you read and pass on this message.

There will be a NOT TRESPASSING guided walk on the Brighton Downs next
Sunday 25th January, meeting at Housedean Farm, TQ 370 092, at 10.30am
sharp.

The Farm meeting point is on the A27 halfway between Falmer/edge of
Brighton and Lewes, on the north side of the road/eastbound carriageway.
Layby parking is available. The meeting point is on the Brighton to Lewes
Cycleway. We will be walking wonderful Downland Access Land which the
farmer has so far refused to make available to the public, though he is
flouting the law in so doing.

The walk will be roughly 2 miles out and  2 miles return, though we will
be willing to consider a longer return route taking in more sites if
walkers so wish. The route will often take in steep ground, so it is
unsuitable for folk with mobility problems, and for pushchairs. Dogs
cannot be brought because there are grazing sheep and cattle. We will be
crossing several barbed wire fences, and carpets squares will be available
to assist people across without snaring.

Bring a lunch snack and a drink, and dress for poor weather.

Walkers without cars are meeting in Brighton at the Lewes Road/Elm Grove
bus stop at 10.00am sharp to catch the 28 bus. Some car drivers will also
attend the bus stop at that time to offer lifts. The bus stop is about 12
mins walk from Brighton Rail station.

Buses return to Brighton from Newmarket (on the opposite side of the road
from Housedean Farm) every 20 mins, or walkers can go forward to Lewes,
which has a rail station.

Walkers will be asked to contribute towards walk expenses. We suggest a £3
donation for those who can afford it. Come anyway, even if you can't.

Further walks will be organised regularly thereafter. The next walk will
be on Sunday March 1st.

Dave Bangs