London squats facing eviction

Gerrard Winstanley news at tlio.org.uk
Wed Jan 28 21:15:36 GMT 2009

Another article in the London Evening Standard.

Squatters quit Mayfair mews and Park Lane group told to go
Benedict Moore-Bridger
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23630538-details/Squatters+quit+Mayfair+mews+and+Park+Lane+group+told+to+go/article.do
28.01.09

A GROUP of artist squatters occupying two £15million properties in
Park Lane were today ordered to leave by a judge.

The decision came as a second group of squatters, the Da! Collective,
left Clarges Mews in Mayfair. They had lived there in part of a
£22.5million Grade II*-listed building since November.

Today's ruling at the Central London county court means the Park Lane
squatters must leave the adjoining properties they moved into shortly
after Christmas.

Lawyers for two firms, Weleta and Konzeo, which own the leaseholds
were granted an order to take back possession of the buildings by
Judge Marc Dight. Squatter Andreas Grant had told the judge there were
40 people at the squat, and asked: "Perhaps we could delay for a few
days so they could find alternative accommodation." Afterwards Mr
Grant, 36, from Stockholm, said: "My personal plans are not spending a
night in the cold."

Anna Cole, a 22-year-old caterer from New York, said she would stay
with a friend, but added: "Some people will probably try to put up a
fight."

The group's leader, John-Joe Murray, 24, whose stage name is Worrisome
Ankle Trout, said: "It is a beautiful building, but the actual
interior is very limited."

The Da! Collective were told to leave Clarges Mews after a court order
yesterday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jan/28/mayfair-mansion-squatters-london