Bailiffs repossess woman's home 'by mistake' while she is out

Gerrard Winstanley office at evnuk.org.uk
Sat Jul 11 01:15:51 BST 2009

Bailiffs repossess woman's home 'by mistake' while she is out
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1198800/Bailiffs-repossess-womans-home-mistake-out.html#

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:01 PM on 10th July 2009

A woman who had popped out for a job interview arrived home to find the locks had been changed after bailiffs had repossessed her house by mistake.

Leanne Faulkner discovered they had disconnected her water, gas and electricity, changed window and door locks and even sealed up her toilet.

Bailiffs also packed her belongings into cases and emptied her fridge and freezer.

The 30-year-old, from Wythenshawe, Manchester, said: 'When I eventually got in I couldn't believe it. There was a big sign on my door saying my home had been repossessed and I had seven days to get all my possessions out.

'My post box had been taped up and so had my taps. The electricity and water had also been turned off.

'They'd changed the locks on the windows and just left them open so anyone could get in. There were muddy footprints everywhere.

'I was stunned. It was as if the place had been ransacked.

'They'd scratched all the door which needed repairing. They'd even taken two tins of paint.'

She had to pay more than £300 to get her power and water back on and to change the locks back again.

Miss Faulkner, an unemployed air stewardess had been at a job interview in an effort to ease her money troubles.

After falling into arrears she had arranged with her mortgage company, GE Money, that she would sell her flat of four years to pay them money she owed them.

But a repossession order was still sent out. GE Money blamed an 'administrative error'.
Even the toilet was sealed up as bailffs repossessed Leanne Faulkner's home

Even the toilet was sealed up as bailffs repossessed Leanne Faulkner's home

A spokesman said: 'Bailiffs were regretfully instructed to take possession of an incorrect property, resulting in significant inconvenience to Miss Faulkner.

'This situation is clearly unacceptable and we have taken necessary steps to ensure that this sort of thing does not happen again.

'We have since apologised to Miss Faulkner and have made an offer to cover the costs she has incurred, as well as compensating her for the distress this situation has caused.'