Pig Business goes online despite legal battle

Gerrard Winstanley tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Jul 25 23:02:14 BST 2009

  After a year of the in-house legal department at Channel 4 ensuring that there is sufficient evidence to support the film 'Pig Business', Smithfield foods of America sent 2 separate threatening letters  causing the broadcast in February to be postponed. Despite a further 2 letters, Channel 4 bravely showed the film on the 30th of June.

  The Barbican cinema also received letters and I was forced to sign indemnity papers before they would screen the film.  Newspapers have received 19 page letters threatening litigation for reporting the information in the film. Equally cautious are the US insurance companies who have not been prepared to insure the film unless I pay the first $500,000 excess or lobotomise the film as they are afraid of libel tourism. This is where the film is unlikely to be sued in America, but the case would be brought to the UK, where it would enjoy our corporate friendly libel laws.

  Putting it on the website would apparently expose me to Smithfield's litigation in every jurisdiction. So the film has to be screened below Smithfield's radar. For the next 10 days it will be showing on the More4 website.  Please watch it if you have not yet seen it and inform your friends and contacts that it can be seen.  Otherwise any private screenings are safe, Smithfield would not sue so please get in touch if you would like us to send you a dvd.

  Find out the truth about factory farming, spread the word guerilla style.

  More4 link : http://www.channel4.com/programmes/pig-business/4od#2926317

  http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/the-big-food-fight/pig-business_p_1.html

Best Wishes,

Tracy