[diggers350] Travellers seize on Bank Holiday to set up illegal camps

Caroline Barry carostraw at phonecoop.coop
Fri Jun 5 09:46:04 BST 2009

good on them
more power to their elbow
i'm tired of councils opposing action when they have a legal obligation to provide sites
as for the "not in my back yards" tough!!
my recent letter to our local paper

TRAVELLERS NEED LAND

Instead of launching attacks at the travellers in Butleigh, why not have a go at Mendip District Council who are failing in their legal duty to provide sites for travellers and gypsies. The Government have funds specifically for all District Councils to purchase land and provide sites.
The UK welcomes foreigners and provides them with homes, jobs, education and health etc yet it is not supplying facilities for our minority UK residents.
There are land sales every week and yet the District Council have not managed  to find a suitable site.
Come on Mendip sort it out before we get to "people started to take things into their own hands"
Caroline Barry
Butleigh