Dutch anti-squatting business thrives in economic crisis

Gerrard Winstanley office at evnuk.org.uk
Fri Jun 19 23:28:49 BST 2009

click the link to see the pictures

Dutch anti-squatting business thrives amid economic crisis
http://www.expatica.com/nl/housing/where_to_live/Dutch-anti_squatting-business-thrives-amid-economic-crisis-_14201.html#

Guido, a penniless student, could hardly believe his luck when offered lodging in the heart of Amsterdam at a fraction of the going rate -- a boon thanks to the credit crunch as property owners desperately fend off squatters.

Amsterdam - Guido, a penniless student, could hardly believe his luck when offered lodging in the heart of Amsterdam at a fraction of the going rate -- a boon thanks to the credit crunch as property owners desperately fend off squatters.

He smiled from ear to ear upon arriving recently, key in hand, at his new, temporary address: a piece of prime property with vast, empty rooms soon to become a luxury hotel a stone's throw from the world-renowned Van Gogh museum.

"Until now, I've had to go home to my parents in The Hague (a 50-minute train ride) every day, or sleep on a friend's couch," the 20-year-old sport science student told AFP, after receiving a call earlier in the day from Anti-Kraak BV -- a company that puts tenants in empty buildings at 24-hour notice.

In a country where squatting is allowed if a building has been empty for more than a year, it is one of about 30 firms offering anti-squatting services and doing brisk trade as slumping property sales leave many a building at risk.

Guido will pay EUR 250 a month (USD 350), at least half the going rate, for a bedroom of some 40 square metres (430 square feet) and his own small living room in an apartment where he shares a kitchen and bathroom with two other students.

Their new home has majestic wooden staircases, decorative mouldings and marble walls ... but the carpets in the bedrooms are torn, some windows cracked and the shower has no head.

"I don't know how long I will be living here, so that's really nothing," said Guido. "It is just incredible that I can live in the city centre for EUR 250!"

The law that tolerates squatting is being revised at the insistence of three political parties, including the majority Christian Democrats of Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende.

In the meantime, companies like "Anti-Kraak BV" have identified a niche.

"We offer owners numerous advantages: by putting in occupants we discourage squatting and vandalism," explained Joost Koenders, director of Anti-Kraak BV, which manages nearly 400 addresses in Amsterdam.

Owners, who don't pay anything for the service, "can claim back their property at any time," said Koenders. Occupants are given two weeks to move out.

Anti-Kraak BV, which employs about 20 people countrywide, makes its money from the monthly payments of occupants -- mainly students, but also artists looking for studios. No rental agreements are signed, but rather a "utilisation contract".

"Whatever the economic situation, there is always unoccupied real estate," said Koenders. "With the economic crisis, the quality of the buildings we have under management is a lot better."

To date, Anti-Kraak has managed mainly empty offices, buildings threatened with demolition or industrial wasteland.

"Now, many private home owners battling to sell their properties are also coming to us," said Koenders.
Photo by Karen Eliot

The Dutch statistics agency CBS reported last month that just over 10,000 homes had been sold in April 2009, nearly half the figure of a year earlier.

Prices were 2.2 percent lower on average.

Thus the owner of a four-room apartment, on the market for more than a year at EUR 265,000, called in the services of Anti-Kraak after other homes in the same street of a popular Amsterdam neighbourhood were invaded by squatters.

"I was desperate. I could find only small rooms at EUR 500 a month, and then suddenly I found myself living in 80 square metres," enthused Marleen Tijs, a final year marketing student who is also reaping the benefit of the owner's dilemma.

The "for sale" sign stays up, and the owner can visit at any time.

"I hope that he doesn't find a buyer immediately because then I will have to move everything," confided Tijs.

AFP / Alix Rijckaert/ Expatica

Photo credit: Karen Eliot
Amsterdam gets tough on squatters
Squatting for better housing
Anarchists to activists: a history of Dutch squatting