Fwd: G20 Meltdown at the Bank of England 2

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:17:09 BST 2009

PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FRIDAY 27 MARCH 2009

*G20 Meltdown movement calls for ‘very English revolution’ to start debate
for new future*

The G20 Meltdown movement is calling on the British public to take a day off
work on April Fools Day (Wednesday 1st April) and head to the Bank of
England for a ‘Very English Revolution’.

The ‘Revolution’ will take the form of an openly organized free assembly in
public space outside the Bank of England, a peaceful and fun street party!
designed to unsettle the City’s routine just enough for new ideas and
solutions to our current crisis to be debated.

This colourful carnival is planned to send a clear message to attendees at
the G20 London Summit on April 2nd that the global dominance of financial
capitalism is the problem, not the solution, to the current economic,
ecological and political meltdown.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: A bright and noisy protest procession of The Four
Horsemen of the Apocalypse will converge outside the Bank of England at
12pm. The parades will each assemble at 11 am and depart from the following
rail stations:
 Moorgate - Red horse against War·
 Liverpool St· - Green horse against Climate chaos
 London Bridge - Silver horse against· Financial crimes
 Cannon Street - Black horse against land enclosures and· borders in honour
of the 360th anniversary of the Diggers[1]

The G20 Meltdown organisers believe that at the London Summit the G20
ministers are trying to get away with the biggest April Fools trick of all
time – conning the global public into bailing them out for their
tax-dodging, bonus-guzzling, pension-pinching, free market behaviour.

A G20 Meltdown spokesperson says: “We want to unsettle the routine of the
City just enough so that new ideas - democratic solutions to our current
problems - have a chance of entering the public realm.  People are angry;
justifiably so.  With the world in meltdown and over two million people now
out of work in Britain alone, the G20 ministers still resist nationalising
the banks, decentralizing and democratizing our economy.  Instead, they
continue to pour trillions into the black hole of bankers’ bad gambling
debts.  That money could be used to reorganize, climate-proof, and
democratise our economy, putting resources into the hands of those who need
it most, the unemployed, those living in poverty, and the vulnerable.  We'll
be bringing fierce words and music to throw at the G20 elites.  Those who
make it along to the street party at the Bank of England on April 1st might
expect a picnic, theatre, mock executions of bankers, music, speeches,
dance… maybe even a striptease involving an emperor who wears no clothes.
By going to the bank of England we are pointing out that the problem is not
just a few bad bankers and some sleepy regulators.  The bank of England is
the foundation stone of the UK economy, and it has presided over Sir Fred
style bonuses for years and years."

ENDS

 **For more information or to arrange photo calls and interviews contact the
G20 Meltdown press officers by *telephoning 07772 861 099* or use the press
enquiry form on the G20 Meltdown website**

Additional contact

07528398441

07729785327

Notes to editors:
[1] The date of the G20 Meltdown action coincides with the 360th anniversary
of the Diggers, English revolutionaries who held the Earth to be “a common
treasury for all”. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diggers The G20
Meltdown Movement believes our beautiful planet has ample resources given a
fair distribution to all its citizens, but the voracious ideology of
unlimited consumption and growth can only lead to runaway climate change
threatening all life on earth.

The goals of the G20 Meltdown Movement are to:
1. Participate in a carnival party at the Bank of England
2. Support all events demonstrating against the G20 during the meltdown
period (from March 28th onwards)
3. Overthrow Capitalism

For quick reference we have been referred to as the 'meltdown'. We recognize
that this term is probably more closely associated with the period of
history into which the London financial sector & the G20 are now entering.
Central bankers and G20 leaders are hoping to steal our money to solve their
crisis. We say No Way!

The G20 Meltdown is only one of many other groups and organisations that
have responded to the Paris Declarations calling for public demonstration
opposing the G-20 this week in London. For more information see
http://www.g-20meltdown.org/node/34

 and http://www.g-20meltdown.org/node/5

crime advisory:  Because of the risk of pick-pocketing, journalists &
participants are advised not to bring their pension with them when they
enter the banking sector.

...We support decentralized journalism!