"Eco-fear-apy": Moving beyond the warnings of the eco-apocalypse towards a personal agenda for ecological change

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Wed Sep 16 21:39:10 BST 2009

The 26th Free Range Weekend,  Llandwrda, Carmarthenshire,
11.30pm to 5.30pm, Saturday 10th October 2009 --
with a 'social gathering' from Friday night to Sunday for those wanting to
stop over and camp.

"Eco-fear-apy": Moving beyond the warnings of the eco-apocalypse towards a
personal agenda for ecological change

Increasingly we see the practice of "ecotherapy", or "ecopsychology", being
used to help treat depression and a number of other problems; but in
reconnecting with the "natural world" the link is not publicly (by the media
or campaign groups) made in the other direction between environmental harm,
and the way modern society causes psychological harm, and how this damage
manifests itself within society as a whole.

At the same time, with the Copenhagen Climate Summit looking like it's not
going to deliver a significant enough cap on emissions to address climate
change, the mainstream environmental movement has its own serious (both
practical and representational) challenges as it's nearly two-decade old
policy of "engagement" with governments and business is clearly not delivering
a meaningful level of change. Both green politicians and campaign groups have
nailed their credibility to the mast working "within the system", but if that
approach fails what then? -- especially for their own supporters!

These problems are so big that it's very easy to feel boxed in, in which case
how to we resolve our relationship to the world and to the actions we must all
take to resolve our collective difficulties?

- From corporate consumer marketing/advertising, to Greenpeace's press releases,
to Government law or justice policy, people are often encouraged to support
initiatives by making them scared of some threat or another -- through the
pressures of fashion and the cult of celebrity, or fear of "the enemy", or the
fear of eco-destruction -- in order to support certain types of action,
acceptance and the "consumption" of certain attitudes, ideas or products. The
evidence shows that fear is an effective marketing tool, but it's also
debilitating to people's self-worth and self-confidence... we need a better
means of offering a new vision for the future than fear!

Over this weekend we'll be looking at another option -- building people's
confidence in themselves, and their ability to act, to make change rather than
waiting for change to be push onto them from outside. If Copenhagen fails, and
even if it (hopefully?) doesn't, we still need new ideas for people to develop
in their own lives; but if Copenhagen does fail to deliver a significant
agreement, rather than despair and recrimination we need a way for people to
identify their own potential to change and adapt their lifestyles rather than
waiting for the "big plan" from above which might never arrive.

On Saturday (11.30am to 5.30pm) there'll be a workshop/discussion on these
issues. This will examine the role of fear, and the creation of 'threats' as
part of the modern media society, in order to explore the blocks that restrict
people's options for personal change. Then we'll look at the ways in which,
through building our own social/support/affinity networks we can move past these
blocks to develop our own responses. Ultimately, through developing our own
alternatives, the aim is to generate a greater level of skill and
psychological ability to deal with the problems that lie ahead, and by
creating this capacity locally we create the opportunity for others to learn
and "join the lifeboat".

Last year the Free Range 'Great Outdoors' project looked at dealing with the
peak oil/resource depletion issue through developing our personal skills in
order to be more self reliant -- primarily through the activity of camping.
This weekend extends that concept towards the social and political aspects of
how we can move on beyond "centralised" and "representative" ways of
addressing problems towards more "personal" and "direct" means of securing
change in our own lives: Building our understanding of how the world is
working around us to make sense of the seeming confusion; and through
networking skills and resources with other like-minded people, developing our
confidence to move beyond the knee-jerk response of fear through practical
action in our lives; and through this whole process we learn to adapt to the
unwelcome reality of the world as it is today, and some of the potential
events that may happen in the future.

On Friday/Saturday evening people are welcome to camp and share a communal
meal around the fire -- and if you play an instrument please bring it along!

We ask that people make a donation to cover the costs of the weekend if they
can (guideline £10), and that they bring some food (no dead animals) to share
for each day at the gathering.

For further details, and to reserve a (limited) place please contact:
Tim Shaw, 01558 685353 or timshaw at gn.apc.org
Paul Mobbs, mobbsey at gn.apc.org (or 01295 261864, but I'm not around much at
the moment -- email's better)

The Free Range Network will also be producing a special "educational pack" for
this weekend that we'll distributed at the event. This will provide background
information and references for people to follow-up the issues that we'll
discuss over the weekend.

- --

(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml