[diggers350] lighter later campaign

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Fri Apr 2 22:58:07 BST 2010

Why can't people adjust? In France, school starts at eight o clock,
shops open at eight and most people start work at eight.  In the UK
everything starts at nine. The government runs most of the schools in
this country, if it wants people to get up earlier, it simply has to
start school classes at eight and open government offices at eight,
and (with the help of an advertising campaign), everyone else will
follow suit.

The alternative, of pretending that midday is at 11 am or even 10
am,  is a demeaning and confusing deceit, which shows how divorced
most people are from natural diurnal rhythms. . The habit of changing
to British summertime  also explains the complete absence of sundials
in the modern built environment, which is sad because sundials not
only tell the time, but also help to explain how time works,

Incidentally  I have heard that in medieval Italy an hour was a not a
defined length of time, but a division of the sun's arc, so that
there were always 12 hours in a day,  winter and summer. An hour in
winter only lasted what we now call 40 minutes, whereas in summer an
hour lasted about 90 minutes. Am I right in thinking that this made
the construction of sundials very easy? Does anyone else know
anything about this system,  or can point me towards someone who has
written about it?

Apologies for the typos in the previous message. It must have been
very late, I'm confused.

Simon