Is Prince Charles world's green messiah?

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Aug 1 00:32:32 BST 2010

What does Charles mean by 'The modern world has
lost the understanding of nature'?
Has he been reading Marx at last?

My duty is to save the world: Prince Charles
believes he was born for a purpose
By Fay Schlesinger - Daily Mail - 30th July 2010
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299099/Prince-Charles-My-duty-save-world.html>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299099/Prince-Charles-My-duty
-save-world.html
The Prince of Wales says he believes he has been
placed on Earth as future King ‘for a purpose’ - to save the world.
Giving a fascinating insight into his view of his
inherited wealth and influence, he said: ‘I can
only somehow imagine that I find myself being
born into this position for a purpose.
[]

‘I don’t want my grandchildren or yours to come
along and say to me, “Why the hell didn’t you
come and do something about this? You knew what
the problem was”. That is what motivates me.
‘I wanted to express something in the outer world
that I feel inside... We seem to have lost that
understanding of the whole of nature and the universe as a living entity.’
His impassioned comments come during a film about
his belief that unbridled commerce has led to the
destruction of farmland and countryside.
The documentary, called Harmony, is due to be
aired on the U.S. network NBC in November to
coincide with the launch of a book of the same name by the prince.
Charles is understood to have waived his author’s
fee, and all royalties will go to his charity, the Prince’s Trust.
But the Prince has previously come under fire for
hypocrisy over his eco-values.
Last year he commandeered a jet belonging to the
Queen’s Flight to attend the Copenhagen climate
change summit, generating an estimated 6.4 tons
of carbon dioxide - 5.2 tons more than if he had used a commercial plane.
Graham Smith, of the anti-monarchy group
Republic, said: ‘He is under the impression he
has been sent to save the world and deliver us
from our sins. It’s quite delusional.
‘He will have to be impartial and keep his mouth
shut when he’s king. If he really believes this
is his mission and he disagrees with Government
in future, he risks plunging us into a constitutional crisis.’
Senior royal aides denied the prince was
attempting to mould his public image and pave the
way to ensure a positive legacy.
They stressed Charles also cared passionately
about his other royal duties, such as defence.
One said: ‘In private he has dismissed talk of
legacies - that’s not for him to say because it’s
for others to judge. But hopefully his charities
will carry on for many years to come.
‘He has said there is a reason why he’s in a
position to raise these issues - that there is
some higher power. But there is more to his role than just green problems.
‘It’s true that outside royal duties, the
environment is the thing he cares most passionately about.’
In a trailer to the film, the prince spoke
passionately about his decades-long quest for
what he described in a statement as ‘a sacred
duty of stewardship of the natural order of things’.
He said: ‘I started 22 years ago on something
that nobody really wanted to know about except a
few people who thought it was pretty crazy.
‘The way nature presents itself - we’ve turned it
into merely a mechanical process.
‘What is happening to the small farmers around
the world is simply appalling, as a result of
globalisation. Is that really the intention
behind it all, just to sweep all these people off the land?’
An Asian woman, who is not named in the
documentary, piled praise on the royal, saying:
‘Princes Charles has been a very courageous man
because he has never thought through the throne
he will occupy - he has thought through the planet he lives on.’

Prince Charles urges 'sustainability revolution'

(AFP) – Saturday 31st July 2010
LONDON ­ Prince Charles on Saturday urged Britain
to tackle "possibly the greatest challenge
humanity has faced" by creating a more sustainable future.
The heir to the throne, 61, wrote in The Daily
Telegraph newspaper that too often people saw
"becoming more sustainable" as a threat to their
quality of life or a risk to the economy.
But he insisted that small, simple measures could
be taken that would make the journey fun and more
positive, as he launched a new initiative called Start.
Charles said he was recycling bath water to use
on the garden and turning old curtain material into "fashionable bags".
"It is about showing people that it is possible
both to enjoy life and to protect nature," the prince said.
The scheme is backed by major supermarket chains and domestic utilities groups.
Under the slogan "Let's start something good",
they will urge customers to start doing one thing to make a difference.
The Prince of Wales will host a 12-day garden
party festival in London royal residences in
September to demonstrate his "sustainability revolution" ideas.
"Looking after our small, fragile and stressed
planet is not about doom and gloom, sitting in
the dark or not having nice things," he said.
"It is perfectly possible that taking action...
can actually help to create more attractive
communities, enhanced health, more worthwhile lives, jobs and security.
"And that it is possible to have fun on the way."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i_MDGAqCiXEtVkJaHokXhKhO6xwA