RE: One man’s quest to get his news unfiltered

james armstrong james36armstrong at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 10:40:14 GMT 2010

Hello ,
I had just posted this letter (below)  to BBC when I read of Roberts' work.
One comment.  I listen to Overses Service of BBC on shortwave. Also China etc.
I found out OS service of BBC was till this year paid for  not from  BBC license fee but from the  Foreign Office budget.
I think we can guess that in retun they control the output, which would explain why the massive UK and world-wide anti-war demos were not broadcast on bbc neither at home nor on world service.
Here is my letter to Feedback.

“Information is the life-blood of democracy” says John Pilger.

On that count BBC is often a killer drowning  information is a barrage of verbiage.

Information was the first of
the Lord Reith’s principles for
BBC .

Although a daily listener to Radio Four, I often find myself
switching off when I hear

heated arguments . Only now can I understand and vocalize
why.

In  so many BBC
interviews two opposing views are  aired-
yet the information of which listeners are unaware and keen to imbibe is lost
in a  noisy slanging match.

In others , powerful pressure groups dominate with their one
sided view.

This happens endemically on Farming Today, where the principle?
 means of subsistence of the UK farming
industry- the £3.4billion annual CAP benefits , are ‘off-air.”  (The footpaths subsidy of 90p per metre
mentioned to-day was a welcome exception)  The interviewer should have gone on to inform
listeners how much  the farmer gets from
CAP cheques each year-  information which
is publicly available but effectively suppressed on  air.  –
and on the flagship farming programme.

And  the farming lobby
NFU, CLA and CPRE , to a man beneficiaries and lobbyists  for
CAP,  get almost daily FT air-time-
and this un-announced. The Cap background is not set by the interviewer.

Never once in  a
thousand FT and Countryside programmes have I heard the  contrary case spelling out present  monopoly landownership which we ‘enjoy’ in UK
.-and  that all mankind has as a human
right , the right to responsible access to all land and use as a common
resource, which  is  jeopardized by its present regard as a
commodity to be bought and sold off for exclusive monopoly private gain..   Is this position news to FT ?

On Radio Four, information is  subordinated to – what is it? – entertainment?-
or worse-  mis-information? On Today to-day,
as Pilger stated,  and  especially  on  coverage of demonstrations, information  is lost or a long way secondary.

One million peaceful marchers in London
and UK cities
and world-wide  marching against war were
ignored by BBC in 2003 and their views unheard.

Eighteen Gurkhas  outside parliament, plus  Joanna Lumley got repeated coverage.

Who stated the case against
privileging Gurkha ex-soldiers depriving the Nepal
economy of the benefits of their pensions if they resided there?  Not BBC.

                 As  the public service broadcaster BBC has a duty
, first and foremost to inform.   Without
information , voting , the bedrock  of
our democratic process, is reduced to empowered prejudice.  Following ‘news’ stories is a secondary
consideration, presently dominant on BBC

I obviously need to spell it out for BBC.

The interviewer should set the scene by informing the
listener by a researched prepared text – it need not come over formally- before
the antagonists are let loose. The  text
should be hot on facts and prepare the listener to look for  mis-information.  It will attract criticism but BBC should,
like government (also paid for by the public), defend itself.

Something like this   should be the standard form on controversial
issues. Add to  this failing by the BBC
the weight of the  massive spin machine
of the government and the  cozy  media
response which Pilger describes and you have the present situation- Propaganda
and noise and mis-information .

   A public service
broadcaster is justified only by its democratic role."

James Armstrong