Power-Up (Planning, the law and your rights)

Jonathan talkaction35 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 1 16:33:46 GMT 2010

Partnership Event with Friends of the Earth

What is Power Up?

Power Up is a weekend of workshops and networking to empower people to make a difference.

Find out how to use the system effectively. Learn how to confidently use legal and planning knowledge and share your ideas with others. Gain
the tools, confidence and contacts to help make
your community a cleaner, healthier, fairer place
to live.

You will leave feeling inspired and energised,
ready to apply new skills to your important local
issues.

Who is Power Up for?

You don't need to be an expert, but you will be
active and keen to make a difference.

If you're already involved in a local campaign and
you want to make sure you are using your rights
effectively, then Power Up is for you.

Power Up is particularly for people working in disadvantaged areas and with groups whose voices are not usually heard in decision making.

What happens at Power Up?

At Power Up you'll find
• Workshops explaining the legal and planning
systems simply and clearly, supported by materials you can refer to after the weekend
• Networking time and creative activities for participants to learn from each other's experiences
• One-to-one `surgeries' to get expert advice from our lawyers, planners and campaigners on your particular issue

How will Power Up help you/your community?

Power Up will bring together key areas of
campaign knowledge for you to take back and share with others in your community. It will help give you more confidence about how your community has a right to speak up and get involved in making important decisions.

It's not just about this weekend – we want to make sure that you know where to get any further support when you get home and there's a network for participants to keep in touch.

" I left Power Up with loads of energy and some ideas for practical action. The results have been dramatic!"
Shlomo Dowen, UK Without Incineration Network

" Fantastic opportunity to learn, network and take action."
Tanwir Rauf, Community Development Exchange, Sheffield

" Our campaign is community versus big business in the fight to stop Queen's Market from being demolished. Many people on low incomes rely on Queen's Market for affordable fresh food. After Power Up we feel like we have a louder voice – and know how to use it."
Pauline and Saif (Friends of Queen's Market – Newham, London)

Weekend Event

6pm, Friday 7th May until 4pm, Sunday 9th May 2010

Limited day tickets also available for Saturday 8 May
(Free return coach from central London)

Where:

All Saints Pastoral Centre, St Albans – a beautiful, peaceful conference venue near London. Accommodation, all meals and refreshments are included.

Cost:

All places are subsidised. We ask for a contribution to help cover accommodation and meals for the weekend.

Full residential place £75
Saturday only £25

Free concessionary places are available for unwaged
(Unemployed/Students/Pensioners)

For application pack and further information contact:

Talk Action
The Grayston Centre
28 Charles Square
London