Robin Hood Bankers Tax petition

milupas@ymail.com milupas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 00:01:02 GMT 2010

Tobin Tax?

Dear friends,
Have a look at this:

The petition text:
Dear Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/Robin-Hood-Bankers-Tax
It’s time for banks to pay their fair share.
We call on you to support a “Robin Hood Tax” on banks. It’s a small tax on high value transactions between banks that would raise hundreds of billions of pounds that would be used to fund action against climate change, poverty and other big issues in Britain and around the world.
Together we can turn the banking crisis into an opportunity for Britain and the world. Please support the Robin Hood Tax.

The financial crisis showed us that the global banking system is broken. The actions of bankers chasing their bonuses cause havoc for millions around the world.
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/Robin-Hood-Bankers-Tax

It’s time for banks to be forced to live up to their responsibilities. It’s time for the Robin Hood Bankers Tax, a global tax on high value transactions between banks. This wouldn’t affect effect high street customers; it’s a tax on the risky speculation by banks - the sort of speculation that caused the banking crisis.

What’s the Robin Hood Tax? A Robin Hood Tax of just 0.05% on all currency transactions between banks would raise an estimated £250bn globally every year. This money would be split 50-50 between the country it’s raised in and a fund to support international development and combat climate change. We’d receive billions every year fund school, hospitals, and to combat child poverty while simultaneously helping millions around the world.

But why isn’t there a tax already? Because the banks are fighting it, they’re lobbying against the idea as it will eat into their multi-billion pound bonuses. But politicians are listening, around the world leaders are starting to speak out in support of the tax – but not in the UK. Sign the petition now to leaders of the three biggest political parties calling on them to support the tax, then please tell your friends.

Together we and turn the banking crisis into an opportunity for Britain and the world. Please support the Robin Hood Tax, sign the petition now.