Foresight UK: 'Land futures' report

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Fri Feb 26 18:00:12 GMT 2010

The Land use Futures report is at --
http://www.foresight.gov.uk/OurWork/ActiveProjects/LandUse/lufoutputs.asp

Needless to say, off-grid/low impact style development isn't on it's main
agenda as a means to tackle all the problems it identifies! (even though
arguable it could be one of the best ways of doing it).

Some of the background reports (available from the page listed above) have
some interesting factoids inside but they're pretty much all working to the
conventional, mega-build agenda, not more locally sourced and small-scale
developments. There's some stuff that's exploring areas of land justice (e.g.,
"Areas of land that may feel public, such as streets or shopping centres, may
in fact be privately held, and use of that land may be subject to restrictions
of which people are not aware until they are suddenly brought to light." --
DIS4, p230) but in general the tone of the report is "full steam ahead and sod
the big chunks of Antarctic ice".

As Einstein said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and
expecting different results!

P.

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/bulletins/Planning-Resource-Daily-
Bulletin/News/986879/Report-calls-reforms-planning-land-use/

Report calls for reforms to planning and land use

Huw Morris, PlanningResource, 26th February 2010

The UK must fundamentally reform the way it plans and manages land to meet the
challenges of the 21st century, according to a government report today.

The government’s chief scientist John Beddington said while planning and land-
use management had served the country well by preventing urban sprawl, these
systems dated back to the middle of the 20th century and needed to be reformed
to meet the challenges of the next 50 years.

"Business as usual is not an option over the long-term," he said. "Without
being smart about how land is used, we risk missing targets. The effects of
climate change and new pressures on land could escalate, seriously eroding
quality of life."

The study by Foresight, the government’s futures think tank, predicts severe
pressure on water supply, biodiversity, carbon sinks and urban green space.

Climate change, an ageing population and the low-carbon agenda will present
the major challenges for the next 50 years.

The population is expected to increase by nine million by 2031, the study
predicts, with the South East projected to have 39,000 extra households a year
compared to the North East’s 8,000 a year.

Climate change is expected to result in significant reductions in river flows
and groundwater recharge amid general patterns of rising demand through to
2050.

By 2020, increasing population and housing growth will increase demand for
water by five per cent.

The study says the land system will be increasingly influenced by global and
domestic market pressures, making it crucial to ensure public goods and
services from privately owned land – clean water, flood risk and biodiversity –
are encouraged and delivered.

- --
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

Read my message board, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml