[diggers350] Why did Democracy Village declare war on Brian Haw?

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Jul 1 00:24:22 BST 2010

The Democracy Village disorganisers made one of
the most selfish decisions in recent protest
history by deciding to place their camp on Parliament Square.
They could have chosen just about anywhere, not
necessarily even in London, but decided to 'piggy
back' their campaign on to Brian's. It shows a
triple inability 1, to think creatively,  2, to
throw light on an interesting place (say a dodgy
funded far right think tank such as Policy
Exchange) which would throw light on how
democracy is being eroded and 3, a total
disregard for Brian's immense efforts and committment.
That misguided and stupid decision was akin to
squatters breaking into an existing squat and
insisting it is their squat. Just plain parasitic
and part of the problem not the solution.
Bringing the entire movement into disrepute.
How was the decision made to locate 'Democracy
Village' on Parliament Square therefore messing everything up for Brian?
Tony

At 19:21 30/06/2010, you wrote:

> [...]
>him since 2005, and there is Democracy Village, spread over the adjoining lawn.
>
>Not all the occupants of Democracy Village are
>peace protesters. Some are taking stands against
>genocide or for the environment, though
>Afghanistan appears to be the main focus of protest.
>In one raucous interlude in the court hearing, a
>defendant named Charity Sweet, who is allied to
>Mr Haw and Ms Tucker, applied to have the
>proceedings stopped on the grounds that the
>founder of Democracy Village, Maria Gallastegui,
>is a government agent tasked with creating a
>provocation to give the authorities a pretext to
>evict Mr Haw from his pitch. "The application
>was patently absurd. She adduced no evidence
>that Ms Gallastegui may have been an agent
>provocateur," Justice Williams said in yesterday's judgement.
>Rebecca Hall, a student at London's South Bank
>University, headed the list of defendants in the
>case. She joined Democracy Village on 1 May. She
>told the judge that it is not a protest but an
>assembly of people "in which ideas are
>discussed". Meetings are held twice daily, meals
>are communal, tasks like cooking and picking
>litter are shared out, there is a welcome desk
>for visitors, and relations with police are good.
>But Simon Grinter, head of facilities for the
>Greater London Assembly, complained that flower
>beds had been trampled, part of the lawn had
>been dug up to plant an oak tree, flowers and
>vegetables, there was a makeshift shower with no
>drainage, and a urinal consisting of a foul
>smelling bale of hay. He reckoned the damage came to around £50,000.
>In his findings, the judge added that: "There is
>also evidence that the Democracy Village is
>acting as a magnet for attracting the homeless
>who are taking advantage of the lack of control and there is heavy drinking."
>Some protesters appeared ready to back up and
>leave before the court imposed deadline expires.
>But others vowed to stay and resist police attempts to move them.

>+44 (0)7786 952037
><http://tonygosling.blip.tv/>http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
>http://www.thisweek.org.uk/
><http://www.911forum.org.uk/>http://www.911forum.org.uk/
>"Capitalism is institutionalised bribery."
>_________________
><http://www.abolishwar.org.uk/>www.abolishwar.org.uk
>www.elementary.org.uk
><http://www.public-interest.co.uk/>www.public-interest.co.uk
>www.radio4all.net/index.php/series/Bristol+Broadband+Co-operative
><http://utangente.free.fr/2003/media2003.pdf>http://utangente.free.fr/2003/media2003.pdf
>
>"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
>poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
><https://217.72.179.7/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/>https://217.72.179.7/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/
>

>--
>"We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong
>and sweet /Yet is there no man speaketh as we speak in the street.”

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk