No Mr Cable we don't need your elitist cuts

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Jun 25 00:45:32 BST 2010

This is a reform that could prevent a future
financial crisis, clear the national debt, and restart the economy.
It cures the sickness in our economy and
financial system by tackling the root cause of
the problem, rather than just the symptoms.
It would make the 'inevitable' cuts in public
services completely unnecessary, reduce the tax
burden by up to 30% and allow us to clear the
national debt. It takes control of the UK's money
supply out of the hands of the commercial banking
sector and restores it to the state, where it can
be used to benefit the economy, rather than
providing a £200 billion annual subsidy to the banking sector.

http://www.bankofenglandact.co.uk/how-it-works/

How It Works

Addressing the Root of the Problem

To find a solution, you have to start by looking
at the root of the problem. In this case the root
of the problem is the creation of new money (as
debt or ‘credit’) every time a loan is made. As
explained in the section before, this happens
thanks to the fact that we permit banks to lend
92% of all the money that they receive from
depositors, whether the depositors actually wish
for their money to be lent, or would have
preferred for the money to be kept safe and away
from risk. When this money is lent and returns to
the banking system via other depositors, it is
recorded as new money, and can then be used to fund yet more loans.

Preventing Banks Creating Money

Our first step then is to prevent banks from
creating money each time they issue a loan. This
step is actually remarkably simple – we just set
a ‘universal rule’ that banks can only credit
(put money into) an account if they
simultaneously debit (take money out of) another
account by the same amount. As is explained in
this guide, this prevents money being created (or
destroyed) within the banking system.

Creating a Public Source of New Money

However, up to now the banking sector has been
increasing the money supply by an average of 8%
each year. While this growth rate is almost
certainly too high, a growing economy does still
require an injection of new money each year, in
the same way that a car requires the regular
addition of oil to keep everything running smoothly.

Consequently, our second step is to give the Bank
of England the power and responsibility to manage
the money supply and create new money as and when
the economy is judged to need it. We implement
strict measures to separate control of the money
supply from any political influence, and further
strict measures that significantly reduce the
risk of inflation, compared to the existing system.

With new money now being created debt-free by the
state, we need to ensure that this money is
distributed by the most economically efficient
and socially beneficial method possible. We
recommend that the money be given to the
government as a non-repayable grant, and used to
reduce the overall tax burden, phase out the
national debt and invest in public
infrastructure. Phasing out the national debt has
its own complications, and we have made recommendations to deal with these.

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung