Off the Page: 'Living Cheap'

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Fri Nov 5 08:36:07 GMT 2010

This was a welcome relief to Radio 4's usual mid-day palette of consumerist
and acquisitive fare:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vky79/Off_the_Page_Living_Cheap/

Off the Page - Living Cheap

Radio 4, 4th November 2010

New writing and provocative debate on Living Cheap - with the country in debt
can we rediscover how to live on the cheap? With David Collins, Laurie Penny
and Pauline Black.

Available on iPlayer until 7am on Friday 12th November.

I especially liked the young graduate who explained why she and her friends
felt they had been "lied to" because they were not going to be able to afford
the things/be like the people they saw on TV. The fact that they're now
covering the "jilted generation" issue (http://www.jiltedgeneration.net/) --
the under 30s who are being denied access to the well paid jobs, cheap housing
and social services that the previous two generations enjoyed -- was also a
welcome change from the usual 'Moneybox'/You and Yours' emphasis on investing
and acquiring wealth.

P.

- --

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

Read my message board, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2010.asc