Guardian: Don't condemn Zimbabwe

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Nov 8 11:22:18 GMT 2010

Don't condemn Zimbabwe

Despite the global outrage, Robert Mugabe's land
reforms have had some successes and are boosting trade

Ian Scoones and Blasio Mavedzenge
The Guardian, Monday 8 November 2010
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/08/dont-condemn-zimbabwe-land-reforms

Ten years ago large areas of Zimbabwe's
commercial farmland were invaded by land-hungry
villagers, led by war veterans and backed by
President Robert Mugabe. The Zimbabwe supreme
court ruled the land reform programme illegal,
and since then images of chaos, destruction and
violence have dominated global coverage.

But as Zimbabwe moves forward with a new agrarian
system, a more balanced appraisal is now needed
for the process that overturned a century-old
pattern of land use dominated by a small group of
large-scale commercial farmers. This means
listening to the results of solid, on-the-ground research.

In our 10-year study in Masvingo province, we
examined what happened to people's livelihoods.
"We got good yields this year. I filled two
granaries with sorghum. I hope to buy a grinding
mill and locate it at my homestead." These are
the words of Samuel Mafongoya, a Masvingo farmer
who was one of the many beneficiaries of the
controversial land reform process. Not every
story was as positive, of course. The hard
evidence was complex and nuanced. But it also
contradicted the overwhelmingly negative images
of land reform presented in the media.

At independence in 1980, over 15m hectares were
devoted to large-scale commercial farming by
about 6,000 farmers, nearly all white. This fell
to about 12m hectares by 1999, in part through a
modest land reform and resettlement programme
largely funded by the UK. Formal land
reallocation since 2000 has resulted in the
transfer of nearly 8m hectares to over 160,000
households, mostly are ordinary people from
nearby areas. If the "informal" settlements
outside the official programme are added, the totals are even larger.

This major restructuring has had knock-on
consequences, and there have been heavy hits on
certain commodities and markets: wheat, tobacco,
coffee, tea and beef exports have all suffered.
However, other crops and markets have weathered
the storm, and some have boomed. Production of
small grains and edible beans has increased
dramatically compared with the 1990s, and cotton
production too has gone up. True, there are major
problems in certain areas, but agriculture has not collapsed.

In Masvingo, reform saw more than a quarter of
the land taken over by around 32,500 households
on smallholder sites, 1,200 households on
slightly larger sites, and 8,500 households in
informal resettlement sites. It has resulted in a
new composition of people in the rural areas,
with highly diverse livelihoods, based on mixed
crop and livestock farming. Another resettlement
farmer, Petros Chakavanda, told us: "We are not
employed but we are getting higher incomes than those at work."

In fact, our studies showed that over half of the
400 households sampled are accumulating and
investing, often employing labour and increasing
their farming operations. And their activity is
having a positive impact on the wider economy,
stimulating demand for services, consumer goods and labour.

Others were finding the going tough. Joining the
land invasions and establishing new farms in what
was often uncleared bush was not easy. It
required commitment, courage and much hard work.
It is true that some new farmers have made it due
to political connections and patronage. Yet,
despite their disproportionate influence on local
politics, in Masvingo they make up less than 5%
of households. Remember too that since 2000 these
new settlers have received very little external
support. The government was broke and often
focused its efforts on a few of the elite.
Meanwhile, aid organisations shied away from the
resettlement areas for political reasons.

We do not want to underplay the abuses that took
place or the challenges that transition brings.
However, our research has dispelled the
assumption that Zimbabwe's controversial reform
was "all bad". Solid empirical evidence has
challenged the myth that there is no investment,
that agricultural production has collapsed and
food insecurity is universal, that the rural
economy is in precipitous decline, and that farm
labour has been totally displaced. There are many
challenges ahead, but we believe it is possible
to define a positive, forward-looking agenda for the future.

• Some names have been changed. Zimbabwe's Land
Reform: Myths and Realities, by Ian Scoones,
Nelson Marongwe, Blasio Mavedzenge, Felix
Murimbarimba, Jacob Mahenehene and Chrispen
Sukume, is published by James Currey
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung