Localism bill at Westminster next week: Any chance of more democracy?

IandRgb mm at iniref.org
Sat Nov 20 15:28:31 GMT 2010

*Localism bill at Westminster next week: What chance of more democracy?*
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/nov/19/localism-bill-referendums-elected-mayors?showallcomments=true#end-of-comments>

According to the Guardian on-line (19th Nov.) the Conservative/Libdem
government proposals for reform of local democracy and governance will
be presented next week. The Guardian's political editor P. Wintour
writes, "An outbreak of direct democracy in local government, including
referendums for directly elected mayors in England's big cities, will
feature in a wide-ranging localism bill due to be published next week."
and further, "The bill will also include plans for people to be able to
petition for referendums on any local issue, including pay of chief
executives. But the bill will have to set out precisely what issues can
be voted on and whether the results are advisory or binding. There will
also be powers to hold ballots to block large council tax increases."

To set the new Tory/Libdem proposal against a democratic benchmark
please review our assessment of their democracy reform promises:
Season for change in Britain? Citizen-led democracy
<http://iniref.wordpress.com/>
Conservative/LibDem coalition programme. Shift of "power to the people"?
<http://www.iniref.org/latest.html>

We comment on the Wintour's Guardian article as follows:
INIREF comments:

Patrick Wintour writes: "The bill will also include plans for people to
be able to petition for referendums on any local issue, including pay of
chief executives. But the bill will have to set out precisely what
issues can be voted on ..."

In 2009 David Cameron said in a public speech that if elected to govern
he would introduce citizen-initiated referendum both at local and
national levels.

The Con/Libdem coalition agreement states, "We will give residents the
power to instigate local referendums on any local issue."

Is that not very clear? If residents gain the power to instigate local
referendums on any local issue then why or in what way will the bill,
"have to set out precisely what issues can be voted on"?
/A service of/
I&R ~ GB
Citizens' Initiative and Referendum
Campaign for direct democracy in Britain
http://www.iniref.org/