The Big Shift Sunday 28th November

sharon pollitt coloursandcracks at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 25 13:53:35 GMT 2010

The Big Shift
Sunday 28th November

        http://www.shiftbristol.org.uk/?page_id=306

Please pass this on......

How do we respond to the environental and economic challenges we face? How do we create a resilient local food system?
How do we build active, responsive communities ? How do we plan for energy descent?

Come and discuss community responses at

The Big Shift
Sunday 28th November
Doors open 9.30 and the first talks kick off at 10am
At the Council House, College Green, Bristol, BS1 5TR

A one-day event to encourage discussion and inspire informed community action
towards a sustainable city for the future.

Inspiring speakers

Shaun
Chamberlin, author of Transition Timelines speaking about the latest
information on Peak Oil and Climate Change and the inspirational work
of Transition Towns in responding to these twin problems at a local
level.

Stephan Harding, author of Animate Earth, is an
ecologist and head of Holistic Science at Schumacher College. Speaking
about the earth and all its inhabitants (including us) as a living
system.

Scilla Elworthy has been nominated three times for
the Nobel Peace Prize, founded the Oxford Research Group and Peace
Direct. Speaking on the internal shift that is necessary to make the
Big Shift possible.

Plus the renowned journalist, editor and communications expert Elisabeth Winkler compering the Q & A sessions.

And workshops on

Community-owned
renewable energy with The Bristol Energy Network. Trevor Houghton,
energy and climate change researcher and consultant, explores ways we
can own the production of local renewable energy, reinvesting in our
communities and creating energy security.

Permaculture with Mike
Feingold, international permaculture teacher and founder member of the
Bristol Permaculture Group. Permaculture is a simple, commonsense
design for growing and living sustainably. Mike looks at how we can
create systems that regenerate rather than degrade the environment we
live in.

Collective land buying with Land Roots. Sharon Pollit
explains how, by pooling our resources, we can buy land to be developed
as a showcase for permaculture design, good stewardship and sustainable
community as a legacy for future generations.

Agroforestry.
Patrick Whitefield, permaculture teacher and consultant and author of
The Earthcare Manual and The Living Landscape looks at combining
farming with trees for more productive, biodiverse and resilient land
use.

Who feeds Bristol? Joy Carey has been commissioned by
Bristol Green Capital Momentum Group to develop a resilient food plan
for the city. Looking at where our food comes from and what we need to
do to future proof our food supply.

The Bristol Pound with The
Bristol and Bath Local Currency Scheme. Ciaran Mundy looks at the
importance of a local currency in promoting the relocalisation of
trade, production and exchange and at the possibility of Bristol
havingits own Pound in the near future.

Community Supported
Agriculture with Simms Hill Shared Harvest. Bobby Sunderland and Tim
Laurence explore the benefits of community run farms dedicated to
feeding the local community. An approach that puts the farmer and the
consumer back in touch with eachother and the land. Find out how far
Simms Hill have got in setting up a CSA for Bristol.

Retrofitting
your house for energy efficiency with Kate Watson of Bristol Green
Doors. Kate looks at the cheap, accessible and easy to DIY solutions to
warmer, more fuel efficient homes as well as future proofing.

Grass,
Our Most Bio-diverse Crop. Simon Fairlie, author of Low Impact
Development and Meat: A Benign Eztravogance and editor of The Land
magazine examines the complex issues around the use of animals in the
food system. He argues that our society needs to reorientate itself
back to the land and explains why an agriculture that is most readily
able to achieve this is one that includes a measure of livestock
farming with a less industrial and more humane approach.

The
Work That Reconnects with Jenni Horsfal, Jenny Smith and Jewls
Wingfield, An experiential workshop based on the work of Joanna Macy
that invites us to connect with our concerns for the planet and turn
our fears into positive action.

Community-Led Local Transport
Plans with Transition Stroud’s Tripswitch initiative. Helen Royall
explains what can be achieved when local groups and transport campaigns
work collaboratively with the council, bus companies and other
organistions on developing a sustainable vision for local transport.

Local,
natural healthcare with Max Drake, founder of The Urban Fringe
Dispensary. Max looks at the role of locally sourced and grown herbs in
a relocalised health care system that puts the knowledge and skills
needed to stay healthy back in our own hands and gardens.

Plus an Open Space session where you can put forward ideas for everyone to discuss in groups.

Stalls
from Eco-logic Books and The Bristol Green Store , Source Magazine and
information stalls plus a chance to buy the brand new book Bristol- A
Guide to Good Living at a discount price. Lifecycle's Dr Bike will be
on hand for bike repairs.

Click on the timetable of workshops  for times.
This event is organised on a not-for-profit basis by   www.shiftbristol.org.uk

Land Roots
The Arts Organisation
21 Station Street
Nottingham
NG2 3AJ
07944 750 960

Skype sharon.pollitt1

Visit our website
http://www.landroots.co.uk
Join our Main Facebook group
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37206355508

Join our East Midlands Area Network
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=226163108973

Join our Somerset Area Network
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=197627029290
Join our South East Area Networkhttp://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=213559973724

Join our Chesterfield/Sheffield Area Network
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37206355508#!/group.php?gid=301159778077&ref=share

Join our Wye Valley/Forest of Dean Area Network
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=feed&story_fbid=10150121509560344&id=502686279#!/group.php?gid=343819534498&ref=mf