Cost of energy imports to UK trade balance

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Thu Oct 21 10:03:57 BST 2010

An interesting article on The Oil Drum Europe -- given the present debate in
the media about cuts and spending:

http://europe.theoildrum.com/node/7057

Cost of energy imports to UK trade balance

Posted by Euan Mearns on October 21, 2010

Over the years I have drawn attention to concerns about the impact that peak
oil (1999) and gas (2000) in the UK North Sea would have on UK trade balance.
In the space of a decade, the UK has gone from oil and gas exporter to
importer. In articles such as UK Energy Security (July 2007) and A State of
Emergency (June 2008) I speculated about the financial cost and in today's
article I put real numbers on the cost of UK energy imports.

{snip}

For my own take on this see:
http://appgopo.org.uk//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55
- -- or on my site at --
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/papers/index.shtml#appgopo

With the cuts in public spending there's a lot of talk about the "structural
deficit". Unfortunately the discussion at present only relates to the
Government's own structural deficit, not the UK as a whole. The importance of
the decline of indigenous UK energy resources, which I explain at length in my
presentation, is that the UK deficit ceases to be a purely fiscal problem based
upon the excess of credit spending over wealth generation, but instead becomes
a direct drain on capital as the pressure to import the energy required to
make the economy function grows.

There is no simple solutions to this issue. Either Britain develops a
significant export-based economy -- unlikely within the period over which these
pressures will take effect -- or we significantly contract economic activity as
a whole to reduce the need to import energy to within manageable boundaries --
not impossible, but politically unacceptable at present whilst we maintain the
mythical mantra of growth at the core of public policy. However, as I enter my
tenth year of working full time on this subject, even many of the more
progressive/radical campaign and social groups in the UK are not ready to
accept this reality. In practice I think that contraction will take place at
the behest of events rather than any planned "power down".

P.

- --

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

Read my message board, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2010.asc