Fwd: [project2012] Re: [Dem-Village] Fwd: [Diggers350] housing and land monopoly

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 26 14:15:40 BST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robin Smith <robinsmith3 at gmail.com>
Date: 22 October 2010 23:44
Subject: [project2012] Re: [Dem-Village] Fwd: [Diggers350] housing and
land monopoly

Any subsidy/benefit going to any kind of housing or land will raise
the price of land and the rents. Likewise withdrawal will lower the
rents. Its all covered by the Law of Rent. The only issues are
transitional.
Subsidies mean that people must get into more debt to buy a home. Or
do more work to find extra rent. Or squeeze into a smaller home. The
opposite is true for withdrawal. Look across the panorama of history
on the topic and you will see this is true.
Than landowner ALWAYS takes ALL the gain from a subsidy or benefit.
And loses it on withdrawal. The landlord associations even openly
admit that and say "we demand compensation"!!! At least the greedy
sods are honest about that unlike the housing associations, labour
politicians and housing campaign groups etc.
Oh yes, remember that there are a million empty homes spread evenly
across the country. There is NO SHORTAGE OF HOMES. This demands the
question: "what is stopping me finding one then?" The land is being
speculatively held out of use. And THIS is the larger part of what
keeps the price of land so high. Cheap irresponsible credit just
intensified that pre-occuring fact. Proof? We have had periodic land
speculation triggered recessions for a couple of hundred years now.
Cheap credit is relatively recent.
Cheers

Economics Comment
http://gco2e.blogspot.com/