Artists set up Tent City in Central Bristol

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Sep 23 00:31:57 BST 2010

Come take a stroll in 'tent city'
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Come-stroll-tent-city/article-2673126-detail/article.html

By Emily Koch

COLLEGE Green has been taken over by a "tent
city" for the week – in the name of art.

The community art installation, called Portents,
will be on display until September 26.

The grass outside the Council House has been
filled with 50 tents printed with images created
by schools, churches, community groups and individual artists.

Portents is led by John Easterby and the St
Paul's- based Pierian Centre, the team who hung a
four metre-high series of black and white
photographs depicting refugees and the effects of
war and famine at Temple Meads station in 2008.

The project is part of Bristol's contribution to
the European Year for Combating Poverty and Social Exclusion.

Funding for the project came from Awards For All,
Arts Council England (£20,000); Faiths in Action
(£6,000); Bristol City Council's Single Project
Fund (£6,400) and the Legacy Commission (£4,000).

But Pierian Centre founder director June Burrough
said: "We have had a lot of people who have given
an enormous amount of time and energy in kind as
well as sponsorship in the form of discounted rates.

"If you were to put a figure on all of this as
well as the actual financial amounts, the cost would be at least £80,000."

More than a thousand people have been involved in
it – groups and individuals across Bristol were
asked to respond to the theme of Home, Histories
and Hope in creating images and poems to be printed on their tent.

Some of the tents have poetry on them, others
have photographs, children's artwork and graffiti.

A series of six tents have portraits of
individuals from Bedminster, taken by local photographer Andrew "Beezer" Beese.

John Easterby, who grew up in Bristol, said:"I
wish I'd worked on more projects like this during my career.

"I've learnt such a lot from Portents, seen
people at their finest and most dignified, and
worked with passionate and dedicated colleagues."

Events are planned through the week. On Friday
people are invited to join Stephen Williams MP to
discuss community cohesion over lunch.

Portents is a free event and the opening hours
are 9am-7.30pm Monday to Thursday, and 9am-6pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

For further information about the event, contact
0117 924 4512 or email info@ pieriancentre.com.

We welcome your opinions. Please fill in the form below to leave your comment.
Add your comments House rules
Property to Rent ? We are your local letting agents

www.hitchenand.co.uk
Latest local property
£695,000 4 bedroom town house, Somerset Street

4 bedroom town house, Somerset Street. An
exceptionally elegant and fine 4 bedroom, 3 reception room grade II...
£235,000 2 bedroom terraced house, Mina Road

2 bedroom terraced house, Mina Road. Fabulous
Victorian property; Offers spacious accommodation to include,...
£179,950 2 bedroom flat, Charles Street

2 bedroom flat, Charles Street. A contemporary
two double bedroom apartment in Bristol City Centre steps from...
£325,000 asking price 4 bedroom maisonette, Jamaica Street

4 bedroom maisonette, Jamaica Street. &149;
Modern light and spacious 4 bed maisonette &149; Retains many...
£217,500 asking price 2 bedroom house, Stafford Road

2 bedroom house, Stafford Road. Located in ever
popular St Werburghs, this two bedroom plus loft room...
£165,000 1 bedroom flat, Baldwin Street

1 bedroom flat, Baldwin Street. Chappell and
Matthews are offering for sale this well maintained modern...
£170,000 1 bedroom house,

1 bedroom house, . Situated in the popular Atrium
development is this well presented City Centre apartment...
£320,000 studio flat,

studio flat, . A wonderful three bedroom modern
apartment, in exceptional condition with stunning views. This...
£695,000 4 bedroom town house, Somerset Street

4 bedroom town house, Somerset Street. An
exceptionally elegant and fine 4 bedroom, 3 reception room grade II...
£235,000 2 bedroom terraced house, Mina Road

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung