Simon Fairlie's new book reviewed

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Sep 30 23:55:11 BST 2010

nice pic of Simon too
Shame on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme who
tried to mess Simon about so much I hear that he could'nt agree go on.
Tony

Carnivores rejoice! Eating meat is good for the
planet (and that's according to a militant vegan)

By Alex Renton
Last updated at 11:25 AM on 30th September 2010
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1316382/Carnivores-rejoice-Eating-meat-good-planet.html
Lunch with Simon Fairlie is a carnivore’s
nightmare. Around the communal table at Monkton
Wyld Court — the ‘sustainable lifestyle
community’ in the Dorset hills where Fairlie
lives — our plates are filled with corn fritters
and sprouting quinoa seed salad.

There’s tea to drink and a depressingly heavy
cake of flour, apple and marigolds for pudding.

But although the diet is strictly vegetarian, the
talk is all about beef. That’s because Fairlie —
just in from milking his two cows, and every inch
the hippie farmer with his beard and tatty
embroidered waistcoat — is no evangelical vegetarian.

Rather, this former co-editor of The Ecologist is
a rebel from within the environmental movement
who says that the eco-establishment has got it
badly wrong over animals: that farming them and
eating meat is OK. In fact, he claims, moderate
carnivores may be better for the planet than vegans.

My beef's with vegetarians: Simon Fairlie, with
his dairy cow, is a moderate meat-eater

Fairlie’s new book, Meat: A Benign Extravagance,
is causing tremors throughout the world of the ecologically-minded.

It has been praised as ‘brilliant’ and
‘challenging’ by the big names of food policy,
while the environmental campaigner George Monbiot
has done a U-turn and announced that he was wrong
to promote veganism as an answer to the planet’s woes.

For more than 30 years, Fairlie explains, the
‘urban green’ orthodoxy has been that eating meat
is an act of selfishness: bad for the planet and
bad for the human race. So widely accepted is the
view that the head of the UN authority on climate
change, Dr Rachenda Pachauri, and the last
government’s adviser on the issue, Lord Stern,
have both stated that vegetarianism is better for
the planet. But farmers, Fairlie says, know better.

Fairlie was educated at Westminster public
school, but he dropped out of university to
become a hippie activist and a vegetarian.

In the early 1970s, aged 24, Fairlie went to live
and work on a communal farm in southern France,
keeping goats. It was then that the
inconsistencies of the non-carnivorous life
struck him. ‘I had to ask — what do you do with
the male kids?’ he says now. ‘You can’t keep
them, because they’ll fight, you couldn’t sell
them, and killing and burying them was just a
waste. So, being poor, we ate them — goat kid stew!’

He later moved to another ‘sustainable community’
in the West Country, and that made him further
question the supposed self-sufficiency of the vegetarian lifestyle.

  He despises the urban Greens and their ignorance about the countryside

‘There was something dysfunctional,’ he says.
‘The way we lived and the way we managed the land
didn’t mesh. We were importing hundreds of pounds
worth of protein and fats — soya, peanut butter,
nuts and pulses and vegetable oils — from
countries where people were hungry. Yet we were
keeping pigs and cattle that produced proteins and fats on our doorstep.’

And so began the second phase of Fairlie’s
activism — questioning the received wisdoms of the alternative lifestyle.

As a keeper of livestock, Fairlie was also struck
by the endlessly repeated ‘facts’ used by
vegetarians and environmental campaigners to
prove the inefficiency of raising ­animals as
human food. Chief among those is the notorious
10:1 ‘conversion rate’, which appears everywhere
from scientific papers to school textbooks. This
states that to produce 1kg of beef, you need to
feed a cow 10kg of grain. If humans ate grain,
then, instead of beef, there would be far more food to go around.

‘This figure has its origins in the 18th
century,’ contends Fairlie, adding that it was
publicised most dramatically in an essay by the
poet Shelley, who in 1813 became one of the
world’s first militant vegetarians. George
Bernard Shaw and Paul McCartney were his heirs,
and with them rose an ‘urban green agenda’ that
Fairlie despises, because of its ignorance about
the countryside. ‘Most rural Greens eat meat,’ he says.

Concern: Fairlie highlighted a worrying
ideological agenda behind the dodgy statistics of the anti-meat lobby

And that 10:1 ‘conversion rate’ is an absurd
exaggeration, Fairlie’s research shows. It would
be true if you fed nothing but grain to cows — but no one does that.

Even in the mega-farms where cheap beef is
produced in the U.S. — which do use huge amounts
of grain to fatten animals — the ratio is perhaps 7:1.

On a traditional small farm, very little
vegetable matter fit for human consumption is
used for beef production and the real conversion
ratio is perhaps 1.4 to 1 — for every 1.4kg of
vegetable humans could have eaten, you can produce 1kg of beef.

‘And that’s a pretty good exchange, if you’re
getting something different and nice to eat,’
says Fairlie. There are other benefits, too. A
dairy herd is a highly efficient way of turning
something humans can’t eat — grass — into things
they can, such as milk, butter and cheese. What’s
more, cows recycle nutrients back into the land
as manure, and their grazing encourages grass to grow.

One of the great disasters of recent years, in
Fairlie’s eyes, is the ban on feeding swill —
waste food from restaurants and factories — to
farm animals following the foot and mouth
epidemic of 2001. Before that, many pigs on small
farms happily ate kitchen waste, costing the
planet and the farmer very little.

Now two-thirds of Britain’s pig feed comes from
meal, which is expensive, or grain that humans
might have eaten — much of it imported soya.
Meanwhile, the 20 million tonnes of food we throw
away each year is burnt or buried.

Fairlie thinks there is a worrying ideological
agenda behind the dodgy statistics of the anti-meat lobby.

In his book, he quotes prominent vegetarian
philosophers and campaigners in organisations
like PETA (People for Ethical Treatment of
Animals) who would like to do away with all
animal-based food, instead producing
genetically-engineered ‘cultured muscle tissue’
for humans in factories. He quotes one of these
luminaries boasting that he insists on feeding
his dogs and cats on soya protein, rather than meat.

  'Eat more of the animal, and use smaller amounts' is the advice given

While speaking up for traditional farming
methods, Fairlie does not give his approval to
battery chicken plants and industrial-scale
cattle farms. Meat, he says, is too cheap and we
eat too much of it, which is bad for our health.
Industrial farming is a moral and environmental disaster.

We do eat much more meat than we used to — the
average Britain consumed 25kg a year a century
ago, but that figure has now more than tripled.
In real terms, meat costs perhaps half what it did just 20 years ago.

His recipe for a balanced meat-eating economy is
radical — for a start he believes all farming
should be organic. Fairlie also says that the
Government must act to curb the supermarkets, who
take more and more of a cut of the price of farm
products. ‘Organic milk costs nearly £1 a litre —
but the dairy farmer gets perhaps 22 pence. Even
in the days of milk in churns being shipped by
train to London, farmers got 50 per cent of the price of a pint.’

So how does the ‘Fairlie diet’ work? He tells me
he eats meat perhaps twice a week — the last was
a steak and kidney pie at a friend’s birthday.
‘We should eat more of the animal — like the
offal — and learn to cook with smaller amounts of it.’

That would make our diet more like that of our
ancestors. They enjoyed animals like pigs and
chickens which are cheap to keep, because they
consume waste and surplus grain.

They ate more dairy — ‘white meats’, like butter
and cheese, were for centuries the food of the poor.

‘Eat local, eat less, is my recipe,’ says
Fairlie, as we go out to see Bella and Milou, his
two Jersey milk-cows, which seem genuinely fond
of him. ‘Look at those pastoral pictures on
supermarket food labels, and try to find out what
they really mean. Support your small farmer. You’ll enjoy the meat more, too.’

Simon Fairlie’s Meat — A Benign Extravagance is
published by Permanent at £19.95.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1316382/Carnivores-rejoice-Eating-meat-good-planet.html

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung