[Diggers350] Monbiot's conversion, now 'loves' glowing example of Fukushima

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sat Apr 2 18:08:32 BST 2011

On Saturday, April 02, 2011 02:52:12 pm you wrote:
> Nitrogen fertilizer doesn't deplete soil of fertility on its own.

Humanity fixes more atmospheric nitrogen than nature!

Consequently the imbalance created isn't just an issue related to soil
fertility (which is related to a number of factors, from ploughing to
monocropping), it also changes the cycling on nutrients in the aquatic
environment -- and ultimately (with phosphate runoff) creates the large dead
zones in the oceans that not only kill life, but put significant quantities of
the greenhouse gas nitrous oxide into the atmosphere.

There is no way to separate climate change from agriculture; certainly it's a
more driving correlation than coal burning; and in many ways solving
agriculture will provide many multi-facited benefits that go way beyond what
could be achieved by simply sorting out our energy supply.

Re: population, there's more than enough food produced today to feed everyone
adequately -- however, people still go hungry.

This demonstrates that agricultural production and human hunger isn't simply
an issue of logistics, it's an issue of equity and justice. For example India
produces a lot of food, but the fact it's not distributed properly is a
function of the money system and the way it allocates wealth (i.e., people
just can't afford it), not the ability of the Indian logistics system to
produce and deliver food.

Think of all these issues in this way -- which I know for some people
(consumers, economic liberals, the rich, etc.) is rather taxing on the brain
cells:

Economics objects to market dominance; that's because when one company
dominates the market it can fix prices and make the economic process less
efficient. However, especially in relation to food and resource production, land
and capital are equally essential in the market -- for the well-being of its
operation and the maintenance of low prices -- as are the commodity/fiscal
factors that turn resources into useful products.

Why then does modern economics and the political world object to dominance
over 'factors' market, but not dominance in the ownership of private property?
The concentration of land ownership creates the same kind of market
distortions as cartels and monopolies, but for some reason (err, probably
because they own/represent these private interests) the political-economic
process seems to have a blind-spot with regard to the accumulation of minority
control over the land and capital assets of humanity.

The problem with economics isn't that it's "wrong", it's that it embodies
fundamental inconsistencies that are created by the need to protect the
interests of a small minority over the majority. Solve the monopoly control
over land and resources, and I think you'll find that other "problems" will
become a lot easier to solve.

Sorry, I've returned to book-writing mode after my little foray back into the
nuclear debate -- makes for rather a boring conversation! ;-)

P.

--

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc