Minister Eric Pickles: Localism Bill/ Parish level democracy and polls

mm at iniref.org mm at iniref.org
Thu Apr 14 18:33:35 BST 2011

COPY OF LETTER FROM INIREF POSTED APRIL 13th 2011

Rt Hon Eric Pickles MP
Department for Communities and Local Government
Eland House
Bressenden Place
London SW1E 5DU

E-mail to:
contactus at communities.gov.uk
decentralisation at communities.gsi.gov.uk

Re.
Localism Bill Part 4 --- Community empowerment Chapter 1 --- Local
referendums
*Clause 53 Application to parish councils*

Dear Mr. Pickles and colleagues,

We understand that it is the intention of the Minister to reform the
regulation of referendum democracy at the level of parish. We have
already submitted a memorandum about the Localism Bill to the Public
Bills Committee (1) and wish to present here some recommendations about
parish democracy.

Regulation of parish polls was included (for England and Wales) in the
Local Government Act 1972 but according to our information the option
remained largely unused until the mid 1990s. Since then a steady rise in
Parish Meetings calling on the District Council to hold a referendum
(poll) in the parish has been observed, mainly in England.  Many dozens
of polls have been held. This increase correlates in time with a growing
public demand for participative democracy, particularly
citizen-instigated referendum, across Europe east and west and in many
other countries of the world.

 >From reports and analyses of local direct democracy in other countries
(which almost invariably co-exists with indirect, representative
democracy) a fairly detailed assessment of quality may be distilled. Our
preliminary observations concern such factors as levels of public
information about the issue in dispute, rules governing right to
initiate a referendum, co-operation or hindrance by authorities or
interest groups, facilities provided for citizen-proposers,
"user-friendliness" of electoral procedures e.g. timely information of
the electorate about the poll and about the background of the issue at
stake, distribution of polling cards, convenience of polling
arrangements, option of postal voting, application of e-deliberation and
availability of e-voting.

The quality of local democracy enabled by the Local Government Act 1972
and subsequent modifications to the rules has been criticised for a
number of reasons. For instance there has often been low turn out to
vote in parish polls. Probably however this has *not* been to do with
apathy or lack of interest but more likely because most residents were
not informed about the issue at stake or were even unaware that a poll
had been organised. A major cause of low turn out is the poor design of
the existing referendum procedure. It takes just a handful of residents
to demand that a poll must be held. However, in order to ensure that
there is strong public interest, enough to guarantee a reasonable turn
out, a substantial proportion of the parish electorate should at an
early stage become involved by being approached and persuaded to endorse
the proposal. The ideal "hurdle" depends on the size of the community,
larger units such as a town requiring a smaller percentage (3).

A number of other aspects of design and regulation need to be improved.

Over the last decade our education and advocacy group I&R ~ GB has
circulated preliminary suggestions for reform of local (here parish)
democracy to  active local electors, to councils and local government
organisations (plus some MPs and central government departments). These
suggestions may be found here at our web site: Reform of Parish Poll and
other Direct Democracy Regulations March 2009, memo re. need for reform
of Parish Poll and other DD rules
<http://www.iniref.org/poll-regulations.html>

Reference to a related memorandum (1) and link to further reading about
procedures in local direct democracy (2) are to be found below.

Yours sincerely,
(signed) ________________________

1. Associated Memorandum submitted by Dr Michael Macpherson (L 40)
01.02.2011
<http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-11/localism/committees/houseofcommonspublicbillcommitteeonthelocalismbill201011.html>

2. Journal of the Association for Accountancy & Business Affairs 2006
Vol.5, No1, 47-86. The Citizens' Initiative and Referendum:  Direct
Democracy in 5 Countries of Europe by Michael Wallace-Macpherson, Paul
Ruppen, Roland Erne, Radoslaw Gawlik, Ralph Kampwirth, Bruno Kaufmann
and Arjen Nijeboer. Via http://www.iniref.org/learn.html

3. In the article cited here (2) Arjen Nijeboer, writing about The
Netherlands, describes a "sliding scale" of threshold requirements for
political units of varying size.