Taunton squat case

marksimonbrown mark at tlio.org.uk
Sat Apr 23 09:44:46 BST 2011

[I'm wonderin' if much of this anti squatter action is to get these anti-monarchists out of the way in the run up to the royal wedding? ed.]

retrieved from: http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/704208

Sent out on: Friday April 22, 2011
author email: tauntonac AT riseup.net

A couple of us in Taunton were arrested for "abstract / use without authority electricity" after police used angle grinders to break in to The Eagle Tavern which had been re-squatted. One of us was inside the building, the other outside as a legal observer, but both were still arrested then further charged for "burglary other than dwelling – with intent to commit damage".

The outsider didn't answer any questions in interview, the insider gave mainly no comment, other than to explain that the intention was to squat the building – not to cause criminal damage or burglary. Both were held for approximately 16 hours.

Evidence they `have' is lights being switched on and that a bolt was fixed onto a door amounting to criminal damage. We are currently talking to solicitors and organising for solidarity outside/inside court on the May 12th.

More news when it comes.

http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/704208