Allotments like gold dust as thousands join the queue

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Aug 2 18:41:46 BST 2011

Allotments are like gold dust as thousands join the queue

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - Western Daily Press
http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Allotments-like-gold-dust-thousands-join-queue/story-13055414-detail/story.html

Thousands of frustrated grow-your-own food enthusiasts are
languishing on allotment waiting lists across the West.
But a modern version of the wartime Dig For Victory campaign is
starting to free the log-jam and proving a valuable cash crop for farmers.
Organisations supporting self-help groups across the West want more
landowners to offer sites for leasing.
As National Allotment Week blossomed yesterday latest figures show
there are more than 86,000 people waiting for allotment plots across England.
A survey of major authorities showed that 57 people are waiting for
every 100 existing plots, and that does not take into account parish
and town council allotments.
The West is the worst affected as Allan Cavill, regional director of
the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners Ltd explained.
He said: "The West Country just does not have the industrial legacy
that they have in the North where many more allotments were created.
They don't have waiting lists up there, but it's totally different down here."
There may be fewer plots in the West but enthusiasm for grow-your-own
could hardly be higher.
Michael Ridgway, 71, is typical of many. As he worked the productive
plot in Newton, Yeovil, Somerset, he shares with Diane Mather he
said: "It's a good site but we have had terrible trouble with
badgers. They love the sweetcorn and we've had to fence them out."
Local authorities have a statutory duty to provide allotments, but
where keeping up with the demand is proving impossible, there are
other solutions. Mr Cavill said: "We have been very successful with
self-help groups in the West of England in the last three years and
they now number 50. I initially developed the model I now use for
them with the National Trust. I go along and talk to the people who
want to form a group, they then find a farmer who is willing to rent
them land. We do all the legal side and with the grants that are
available it is at zero cost to the community."
Mr Cavill believes that in practice leased sites can have a firm
future because landowners find the deals worthwhile.
Alan Rees, chairman of the NSALG, welcomes community food groups but
is frustrated that local authority allotments, which are far more
secure, do not qualify for grant aid.
In Gloucester, the city council has 500 plots, some shared, plus 25
nursery sites. It has just brought another 55 half sites into use but
has a waiting list of 272.
The charity, Somerset Community Food, has developed the Food Mapper
website for the county http://www.foodmapper.org.uk/map.php to host a
digital directory of all the places, events and opportunities to
learn, connected with locally grown food in Somerset.

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung