Shapps and the great social land giveaway.

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sat Aug 27 12:26:21 BST 2011

On Saturday, August 27, 2011 11:01:01 am you wrote:
> To defeat power one requires greater power.

To quote Martin Luther King, "the ends are pre-existent in the means".

E.g. the Green Party, whilst in its dim distant past was anti-growth, will not
publicly talk about that as aleading part of its programme today. Even
seemingly bland outposts of new ideas, like the Centre for Alternative
Technology, are now dependent upon direct corporate sponsorship, or indirect
funding through training people to serve that corporate agenda, from some of
the biggest waste and fossil energy companies to fund their everyday work.

Every ecological process works to optimise the conditions for its perpetuation
-- the modern political-economic process is no different!

Every mainstream group must shackle their limbs and gag their mouth the moment
that they "engage" with the political process because that's the precondition
of participation. That being the case, no process/solution they can advance
will solve our present predicament within the time available. We need to look
at more direct options -- and by direct I don't mean against the state, I mean
our own organisation to create alternative support mechanisms; cutting out the
"middle man" of representative politics and creating your own process with
those around you.

> The control of money is the key to the power of Capitalism.

What is power? What is capitalism? for that matter, what the hell is money?

Are you fighting real things or a consensual delusion? -- it's important to
know before you start. E.g., if money is a representative token of resources
like food or metal, then it's not money we need to worry about but the
supplyof those resources. The representative role of money makes it very easy
to misunderstand the physical relationships involved.

E.g. which bits do we go for first? Quantitative easing, fiscal stimulus? All
those thing are constructs/simulacra -- they're meaningless. You can't
"control" that which does not physically exist. Trying to control
money/capitalism is like trying to control insecurity, fear or self-loathing;
you can't seize or destroy that which has no physical form! You just have to
convince those involved that it doesn't exist either -- allowing them to move
on to "something different".

There is no such thing as money, it's an abstract concept. What exists are
those things that are essential to our biological design -- food, warmth,
shelter and human company. At present those things are (sometimes, it has to
be sadly observed, willingly/with complicity) ransomed from us by people who
have used their history power to control the supply of resources. Now that
those resources are beginning to enter the serious depletion phase they can no
longer maintain that bargain, and so that historic deal is going to fall
apart. That's the opportunity we must play upon to promote an alternative
vision.

What has meaning is our own "time" -- our perception of existence, and the
physical abilities that are required to support that existence. People need to
realise that they are capable of being more than a consumer; more than the job
they do. TV, iPhones and fashion are constructs of the economic order that
seek to steal our time (as economic labour) and give us more time-consuming
products in return (as economic leisure). The modern economy doesn't just suck
the labour from our lives, it also commodifies and extracts the joy from our
spirit.

We're biological beings. If we can supply our need for food, shelter, warmth
and companionship then all else is negotiable. That's going to be the struggle
over the next few decades, not just because the economic system is knackered,
but because the supply and price of the resources essential to support the
industrial food system's operation (e.g. crude oil, phosphate rock and top
soil) is going to collapse the economic relationships in that process -- and
with over half the human species now urbanised, and thus dependent upon that
globalised food system, that's one hell of a shit storm!

That search for an alternative means of everyday survival is going to leave
people more open to suggestion. We need to prepare for that eventuality; to
help people manage a broken system, not rail against the system that people
BELIEVE exists today, but which arguably hasn't existed since the 1970s (it's
just that no one noticed it was broke because we've been living on
credit/funny money ever since).

We don't need to "seize" power to bring down the present economic process --
it's going to quite happily do that all on its own! All we need is for 15% to
20% of people to step outside and form their own alternative processes and the
consensual delusion of the economic consensus will implode as the other 80%
realise what's going on. That's going to happen whether people like it or not
because of the economic state Britain's in, and the way that indigenous energy
resource depletion is going to gut the historic operation of our economy (see
http://www.fraw.org.uk/f.html?appgopo ). What we have today an opportunity to
influence is the outcome of that process -- if we have the sense to realise
that and create the alternatives ready for when people want them.

Right now social theorists talk of the unreachable "5%" or "10%" -- the people
on the sink estates that the present economic process can do nothing for. The
contraction of the global economy as a result of oil and resource depletion is
going to leave at least 25% to 30% of the populous economically unproductive
in a couple decades. That's the norm in most "developing" countries around the
globe; and places like Spain, Greece and Italy, with their endemic high
unemployment -- especially youth unemployment -- are further down that path
than in the UK. In that event we'll have to find a new economic model because
the post-war "welfare" model can't support that many inactive people (well, it
could, but it would mean redistributing the wealth of the elite which is not
what the Keynesian/Beveridge welfare model was designed to do -- hence why a
new model is required).

Unfortunately all the "alternative lifestyle" gigs that are popular at the
moment are designed around the lifestyle/aspirations of the wealthiest 25%/the
middle class -- people who are arguably doing pretty well out of things as
they are. We need to help the poor find a new economic process in order that
they can escape the grim future that the system has waiting for them...

...now, that's a challenge far bigger than knobbling capitalism!!

Hmmn, perhaps I'll shut up now. Sorry to rant, but I'm in the middle of
writing something very similar on this point, entitled "The Credability
Crunch" (I think you get the idea).

Personally, I don't want to seize power. Tried that; didn't like it when I had
some of it because you're still expected to perform how the system works in
the past, not change it towards a better future.

These days I much prefer sharing my skills with people who need them.
Revolutions might be in the mind, but they're made with our hands. If we're
going to get a significant proportion of people to jump the sinking ship, then
we need to make sure they have the skills to do that (e.g. see
http://www.fraw.org.uk/f.html?oseries ).

If people have skills, and the confidence to use them, then they're not
required to adhere to the consensual delusion of capital; they can just "do"
the alternatives. That was the social condition that existed a few centuries
ago, before inclosure -- and it's important to note that the inclosure of our
physical being was the pre-requisite to the inclosure of all other aspects of
our everyday life. That's why skills, not abstract political theory, is the
mean by which we'll help people get past our current difficulties and move on to
"something different".

P.

--

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc