Diggers of Ashton-Under-Lyne, Lancs.

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Aug 29 23:33:40 BST 2011

The Revolution has begun Ashton Allotment Action day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X0qjO_UxkQ

Time For Action Ashton Under Lyne Allotment Site For Over 80 Allotment's.

Ashton Action for Allotments on The One Show, 25th May 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIPHmrgH5_Q
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BFSK-kMzfE

Has Been Left By Tameside MBC And Cordingleys For Over 7 Years.
Day Of Action SATURDAY 23 APRIL 2011 ALL ARE WELCOME

Help us dig the land bring your own tools, the kids and may be a
picnic......... Lets make a day of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsHM72e_G6Y

On St. George's Day, Saturday 23rd April, 2011 we started a Green
revolution in Ashton-under-lyne, Tameside, in the tradition of
English radical group The diggers who during the period of the
English Commonwealth, in 1649 reclaimed the common land of St.
George's Hill from the Lords of the manor by digging and cultivating
it. After years of delay by Tameside Council prospective allotment
holders in Ashton have now organised ourselves to take over control
of the land on Ashton Moss that had been allocated for the
replacement allotments, supported by sympathetic volunteers, we came
together in a day of action to reclaim the allotments from
Cordingleys who have neglected and mismanaged the land Ashton
Allotments Action, activists arrived at the the site at 10.00 am on
Saturday morning with garden tools and started to clear the weeds
from the overgrown allotment plots. The major weed infestation on the
site is primarily from Soft Rush Juncus effusus, but also includes
many other weeds which are difficult to remove such as Horsetail
Equsetum Arvense. The action day finished at 16.00, by which time the
we had cleared approximately 30 square metres, after digging the soil
over we planted Beans and potatoes. This was the first day of action,
Ashton Allotment Action now intend to continue cultivating and
improving the allotment site, we invite others who are on the waiting
list for allotments on Ashton Moss and anyone else who supports what
we are doing to join, for information contact We now call upon
Tameside Council and Cordingleys to remedy the neglect and
mismanagement of the Ashton Moss allotments site. We call on the
Council, as a matter of urgency to call a meeting of the all of the
people who are on their waiting list for an allotment on Ashton Moss,
in order to facilitate the the allocation of allotment plots and the
formation of an allotment association to administrate and manage the
Ashton Moss allotment site. We call on Cordingleys to immediately
hand over the allotment sites to Tameside Council as a matter of
urgency. We also, demand that Cordingleys make reparation to the
future allotment holders for their neglect and mismanagement of the
allotment site by providing sufficient resources to allow them to
utilise the agricultural machinery that will be necessary to
effectively remove the Soft Rush and other weed infestation from the
allotment site.
For further information about the Ashton Allotment Action please view
our facebook group http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_125146417562968
Please view our video on youtube

Nigel Rolland, on behalf of Ashton Allotment Action

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung