Vanessa Redgrave gives support to Dale Farm Travellers

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Aug 30 21:31:14 BST 2011

Vanessa Redgrave gives support to Dale Farm Travellers
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/30/vanessa-redgrave-dale-farm-travellers
Oscar winner and activist visits and defends
community of 86 Irish Traveller families facing eviction from Essex site
Patrick Barkham - guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 30 August 2011 20.51 BST

Emacs!

Vanessa Redgrave (right), meet members of the
McCarthy family and Travellers' rights campaigner
Grattan Puxton (left). The Dale Farm community
are facing eviction. Photograph: Ian Nicholson/PA

If it wasn't the two strong cups of tea, it was
the delicious smell of Mary Ann McCarthy's
"traditional Irish feast" of potatoes and cabbage
bubbling on the stove that left Vanessa Redgrave
in no doubt about the strength of community at Dale Farm.
"I'd be happy to live here with them, that's for
sure," declared the Oscar-winning actor and
activist from the steps of McCarthy's chalet.
Describing Dale Farm as "a strong, wise, warm,
gentle community", Redgrave broke off from her
filming schedule to meet the 86 Irish Traveller
families who face eviction from the Essex site at midnight on Thursday.
The largest unauthorised encampment of Travellers
in Britain had never seen anything like it. After
two bishops visited in the morning, came the
actress. Children clustered round on bikes, dogs
fell respectfully silent, and a purple doormat was shaken and laid out for her.
"The whole situation is really about planning.
There's no crime being committed," said Redgrave,
standing by two ornamental cannon in McCarthy's
frontyard. "We used to live in communities. We
had a post office and we had our little local
shops, which would help elderly people. Our
communities up and down the country have been
decimated and destroyed. Dale Farm hasn't."
But the Travellers who for 10 years have lived on
this greenbelt land which they own close to
Basildon will find their community smashed up
unless a last-ditch temporary injunction before a
high court judge succeeds on Wednesday. If they
lose, an £18m eviction process will begin and
bulldozers will tear up their chalets and caravans.
Visibly moved, Redgrave admitted her
determination to stick up for the Travellers of
Dale Farm was personal and recalled her actor
brother, Corin, who suffered "a crippling cardiac
arrest speaking in defence of Dale Farm to
Basildon council" in 2005 and never fully
recovered. Would Corin Redgrave, who died last
year, be disappointed to see Dale Farm a day away
from eviction? "A big society is a human society
where everybody takes care of each other. Corin
wouldn't be disappointed coming here. Here is a warm place," said Redgrave.
Despite the impending eviction, the warmth was
certainly mutual as Redgrave dodged boys playing
on a toy ride-on tractor (numberplate: WAR-0412)
to meet the residents. "If everybody was like her
the world would be a better place. She was such a
lovely person," said Tina, a mother of two, who
spoke about the impending eviction's impact on her children.
"They've been reared up here, they went to
preschool and then primary school and my little
girl is booked into secondary school for the new
term and now we're getting kicked off. They want
to crush this community, destroy our culture and put us into houses."
Basildon council argues that it is enforcing
against Dale Farm – assisted by a £1.2m grant
from the communities department and up to £4.65m
for policing from the Home Office – as it does
against any unauthorised development on greenbelt.
With the bishops of Chelmsford and Brentwood
joining the UN and Amnesty International in
questioning the eviction, the council has
reassured Travellers it will not immediately cut
off water and electricity to the site and will
rehouse all vulnerable residents. But Redgrave
joined Travellers who described greenbelt as "a
weapon" being used against their community.
Redgrave said she had supported Gypsy communities
across Europe since she became conscious of how
"minorities were destroyed" under Hitler.
Alongside Redgrave's warm adjectives describing
their community, residents of Dale Farm added another: safe.
One single mother was too scared to give her name
for fear doctors would refuse to treat her baby
boy and was visibly petrified by the prospect of
eviction. "It is terrifying to know you have a
nine-week-old baby with nowhere to go," she said.
She claimed Basildon council last year offered a
one-bedroom flat for her mother, herself and her
sister and brother but she has never been offered
alternative accommodation since. She fears being placed in a flat, alone.
"This is a very safe community. When my baby gets
bigger I'll know that if he goes outside someone
will bring him back," she said, describing how
their life in caravans enabled extended families
to support each other. "Obviously everybody would
like to have their mum or sister nextdoor. For us
it's going to be a culture shock. [not to have that]".
Grattan Puxon, a veteran Gypsy campaigner, joined
Redgrave for tea in McCarthy's chalet: "This
shouldn't happen. This is not broken Britain.
This is Britain strong and healthy and we want to
save a small part of it if we can," he said.
Judging by radio phone-ins and the opinions of
neighbours, most local people support the
eviction – despite the £18m pricetag. But one
local resident, Ann Kobayashi, who befriended
Dale Farm residents who attend her Catholic
church, said she believed the majority mood was
"live and let live". "Their close-knit community
exemplifies the big society which is much spoken of," she said.
After Redgrave ducked inside to finally tuck into
Mary Ann McCarthy's meal of potatoes and cabbage,
Kathleen McCarthy pointed out how the settled
community in Britain might be inspired by the
communal strength on show at Dale Farm. "What
they can learn from us is how to be more friendly
to one another," said McCarthy. "Our doors are
open 24/7. We welcome everybody with open hearts."

The search for a suitable home
The fields of Dale Farm were a scrap yard before
Irish Travellers moved on to the land 10 years
ago. Now the site could be reduced to rubble.
The Travellers, many of whom had moved around
Essex for several generations, hoped they would
eventually get planning permission for the bases
they had laid down for their caravans on
greenbelt land next door to a legal Gypsy site.
They didn't, although former deputy prime
minister John Prescott gave them two years' leave
to remain, during which their numbers increased to nearly 500 people.
With legal appeals apparently exhausted, Basildon
borough council served the Travellers with a
notice to quit by 31 August or face forcible
eviction. Private firms have been contracted to
carry out the eviction, which could cost the
council up to £8m, with a further £10m in police
costs. But the Travellers are seeking a
last-minute injunction against the eviction,
which will be heard before a high-court judge on Wednesday.
One Dale Farm resident, Mary Flynn, is a test
case: she is seriously ill and dependent on a
nebuliser. She has a letter from the council
warning that her electricity will be cut off
during the eviction process. Campaigner Grattan
Puxon (pictured) claims this would be a "death
sentence" for her. The Travellers' legal team
will also claim that Basildon council has not
properly processed their homelessness forms and
is asking for an injunction to delay the eviction
until alternative, authorised sites can be identified.
Dale Farm residents insist they will move if they
can be found pitches on smaller sites (a feature
approved by all sides) in the local area, which
they praise for its popular primary school and
access to healthcare. The Travellers say there
are alternative sites nearby which are owned by
the Homes and Communities Agency, a government
body which, they claim, said they would be suitable for Traveller pitches.
Three planning applications are currently being
put forward for smaller sites for the Dale Farm
residents within the Basildon area, but one has
already been rejected by planners. Basildon
borough council is reluctant to countenance more
Traveller sites in the area. It says it already
has among the highest number of authorised
pitches in Essex and is making three more pitches
available for Travellers each year. It claims
other nearby councils should do their bit. A
dozen empty pitches that already have planning
approval have been offered to Dale Farm by a
landowner near Stowmarket in Suffolk, but
residents will need more. There are no votes in
approving sites for Travellers, and neighbouring
councils fear an influx from Dale Farm.