Occupy London is 50 days old – now it's time to Occupy Everywhere

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Dec 5 23:37:35 GMT 2011

Occupy London is 50 days old – now it's time to Occupy Everywhere
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/dec/04/occupy-london-50-days-everywhere
We're undeterred by recent criticism, and
determined to rise to the challenge of accountability – unlike the banks

Naomi Colvin and Bryn Phillips - guardian.co.uk,
Sunday 4 December 2011 18.30 GMT

Occupy London is 50 days old on Monday and it's
time to take stock. Unlike those occupations
across the world that started off small and were
able to expand gradually, our occupation was born
in the full glare of the media on 15 October, a
"big bang" launch that meant we had to hit the
ground running. Since then we have expanded to
three sites across three London boroughs, each of
which is a hive of activity. We currently have 39
working groups based at St Paul's alone,
operating across topic areas as diverse as direct
democracy, outreach and sanitation.

As a non-hierarchical movement, Occupy is
inextricably a joint endeavour. Everyone who
joins us – even for an evening – holds equal
decision-making weight. At the same time, for
those of us who are fully immersed in the
process, Occupy is a challenging full-time job
that is often combined with other commitments.
Seeing the sacrifices people make to keep this project going has been humbling.

Over the last week or so, there have been a
variety of news stories – some better intentioned
than others – challenging us to aspire to even
higher levels of efficiency, transparency and
accountability. We take it as a compliment that,
after only seven weeks, we are regarded as
significant enough to warrant the kind of tough
questioning that much more powerful organisations
find hard to respond to. Unlike them, we intend to rise to the challenge.

Contrary to reports, there has been no expenses
scandal at St Paul's. It is true that our finance
team has stepped down, but certainly not due to
any kind of impropriety. One of the lessons of
horizontal decision-making is that everyone in
the community needs to take responsibility for
the occasional hiccups in our system. Members of
the old finance team are very involved in
discussions about what the new system should look
like; they're also helping to make sure that
donations are handled responsibly in the interim period.

Proposals for our reconfigured finance team are
being debated. Ideas on the table include asking
working groups to become more responsible for
raising and allocating funds, and increasing
participation in the finance team to ensure that
more of the on site population understands what
it is they do, and to ensure that our accounts are published regularly.

We have made this journey over just seven weeks
with limited resources. Is the financial industry
also up to the challenge of transparency and
openness? We already know about the position of
the City of London Corporation: they've had the
last thousand years to publish their accounts,
but refuse to publicly discuss the issue.

If a week is a long time in politics, then seven
weeks is an age in terms of the news cycle. It's
natural that the mainstream media focus on
moments of perceived conflict and drama – but
when people ask us if we haven't already made our
point, we see the result these emphases have on
people's expectations. Unfortunately, as even
George Osborne has admitted this week, the
financial crisis is not going away. The need not
only to highlight problems but to identify new
ways forward, could not be clearer. We need to
build new civic institutions to shield us from
the excesses of government policy and to defend
us from the ravages of the market. Our work is not nearly done.

Occupy London has an incredible headquarters at
St Paul's, but our movement is bigger than any
one site. We know it's away from central London
that the impact of the recession is being felt
hardest. Moving forward, we intend to prove
ourselves with acts of community outreach like
our "public repossession" "bank of ideas" in
Hackney, to create a truly "big" society. Local
groups that have lost their funding are already
reconvening in our corridors as we help them in carrying out their vital work.

All over the world, the public is waking up to
the fact that the crises of unregulated finance,
broken democracy and corrupt institutions will
not be solved by those who caused them. Occupy
London invites those who feel similarly to take
the movement into their own communities: it's time to Occupy Everywhere.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6