Occupy Morlands - protestors move into derelict Glastonbury factory

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Dec 18 20:31:00 GMT 2011

Occupy Morlands - protestors move into derelict factory in Glastonbury
VERY BRAVE THIS TIME OF YEAR! WELL DONE ALL!
http://www.glastonburypeople.co.uk/Occupy-Morlands-protestors-derelict-factory/story-14134779-detail/story.html
By IconoGlast | Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 21:21

A group of people operating under the umbrella of
"Common Culture Collective" have within the past
few days moved onto and are squatting the old
Avalon Plastics factory site on the Morlands
estate on the outskirts of Glastonbury.

While some locals view the group as scroungers,
these are in fact the very people who were
instrumental in ensuring that this was the best
Frost Fayre Glastonbury has ever seen and they
put a lot of time and effort into arranging
things: helping with security and traffic
control; playing music; lending their horses for
the kids rides to the grotto and building the
grotto; and having cleared up after the Frost
Fayre finished on Saturday evening they moved onto this site.

As they were possibly facing eviction this
morning I decided to pop down and have a chat,
and they're a really amicable bunch, upbeat,
jovial and enthusiastic they told me they are
just looking to create an alternative feasting
space for the Christmas/New Year period and use
the building for community activism, a cafe and
garden as well as a site for horse drawn
vehicles.  If possible they'd like to create a
healing area, hold parties and they seem to have
plenty of other ideas too.  They say that they
want to provide healthy fresh food rather than
the prepackaged plastic food that is sold in
supermarkets, and are currently building a pizza
oven.  They are also working hard at tidying up the place.

One of them, Dave said to me that contrary to
rumours they didn't actually break in.  "It was
quite straightforward really" he said "Some
workmen here left the combination lock open with
the number clearly visible as they worked on
site; I just made a note of it.  When the time
was right we unlocked the combination and we were
in".  He then showed me the undamaged lock which
was open and quite clearly showed the (not very
hard to crack) combination.  Of course the
occupiers have now replaced this padlock and
chain with their own much more substantial one!

Despite the fear of eviction very little happened
this morning, it was a fairly quiet morning.  A
few Glastonbury locals had turned up to show
solidarity and stand around the burning
brazier.  Outside a solitary bailiff drove slowly
past shortly after I arrived, and about an hour
or so later a police officer and gypsy liaison
officer arrived for a brief and light-hearted
chat through the fence about the situation, before they too departed.

The site has been derelict since Avalon Plastics
moved their factory a few yards up the road to
their swanky new premises, and this is now the
site for a proposed new Tesco supermarket that has divided local opinion.

While the old factory buildings will be
demolished in order to build the new store, this
rabbit's warren that has been left to rot and has
been vandalised and stripped of equipment by
thieves could be used to provide welcome respite
from the elements (it was very cold and snowing
heavily this morning) for the group of humans and
animals over the Festive Period.  And as Tesco
managed to avoid paying a £140,000 Section 106
agreement for the benefit of Glastonbury and
Street when the revised planning proposals were
passed by Mendip District Council's planning
officers at the end of August; a bit of festive
spirit in allowing these people to stay for a few
weeks is a small price to pay!

If you'd like to lend some support then pop down
and say hello, and as they are trying to improve
the site any donations of brooms; hammers; nails;
gloves; dust masks; rubble sacks; plastic
sheeting to fix leaks and bubble wrap for
insulation are all on their Christmas wish list!

http://www.glastonburypeople.co.uk/Occupy-Morlands-protestors-derelict-factory/story-14134779-detail/story.html
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6