Everybody happy?

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sat Dec 31 18:16:35 GMT 2011

Any dopes for a dose of dope?

Wouldn't it be more socially useful to legalise ganja instead? -- less crime,
more local economic development and resilience 'n' all that, not just the cost
savings for the pills.

I wonder if this affected the results of the Government's recent "wellbeing"
survey -- lots of legally stones people telling the researchers how nice they
felt! :-c

P.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/dec/30/antidepressant-use-england-soars

Antidepressant use in England soars

• Prescriptions rise by more than a quarter in three years
• Depression costing economy nearly £11bn a year
• Financial uncertainty thought to be factor

David Batty, The Guardian, Friday 30th December 2011

The use of antidepressants has risen by more than a quarter in England in just
three years, amid fears that more people are suffering from depression due to the
economic crisis.

The number of prescriptions for antidepressants increased by 28% from 34m in
2007-08 to 43.4m in 2010-11, according to the NHS information centre.

Depression is also costing the economy nearly £11bn a year in lost earnings, NHS
care and drug prescriptions.

Research by the House of Commons found the cost to the NHS of treating the
illness is more than £520m a year.

People who are unable to work due to depression lose £8.97bn of potential
earnings a year, while the loss of earnings from suicide is put at £1.47bn.

Jo Swinson, the Liberal Democrat MP who commissioned the research, told the
Independent: "Failure to tackle depression hurts us all. It makes a misery of
the lives of sufferers, costs the NHS in time and medication, and hampers
business by forcing some people out of work."

Prescriptions for anti-anxiety drugs rose from just over 6m to 6.5m in the same
period, an 8% jump, while prescriptions for sleeping pills rose 3% from around
9.9m to 10.2m.

The research found the north-west had the highest antidepressant use in 2010-11,
with 7.2m prescriptions dispensed.

Paul Farmer, chief executive of the mental health charity Mind, said the tough
economic times may have contributed to more people experiencing depression, but
improved public awareness may also mean more people are seeking help.

"It's important to remember that antidepressants can be a lifeline for some
people which enable them to manage their mental health problems," he said.

Emer O'Neill, chief executive of Depression Alliance, said: "These uncertain
economic times are linked to an increase in the number of people with the
illness."

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc