Our forests belong to the nation, not to the coalition government

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Feb 2 22:25:41 GMT 2011

Our forests belong to the nation, not to the coalition government.
http://savebritforests.blogspot.com/
http://saveourwoods.co.uk/

If forest sales raised £250 million, impact on
national debt would be equivalent to paying £42 off £150,000 mortgage.
http://www.facebook.com/dsouthwell

David Cameron 'listening to all the arguments' on forest sell-off
Prime minister appears to suggest that sale of
woodlands is not a foregone conclusion as
documents show coalition could lose money
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/feb/02/forest-sell-off-loss-government

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to
have my senses put in tune once more.”
John Burroughs (1837-1921), American Naturalist
http://saveourwoods.co.uk/
The Government wants to sell all publicly owned forests. This can’t happen.
Our ancient woodlands and forests are our natural
heritage. Around two-thirds of our woodland is
privately owned already. The remaining 33% is
publicly owned, managed by the Forestry
Commission (FC) and other public agencies, including local authorities.
The Government have proposed a Bill that will
allow them to sell all publicly owned forests –
the Public Bodies Bill clauses 17 and 18. Buyers
could include foreign energy companies, private
organisations, charitable trusts, companies and
individuals for shooting rights, leisure developers and many more.
We believe our trees, woods and forests are too
important to be sold to the highest bidder.
We believe our woodlands and forests play an
essential part in the biodiversity of our country.
We believe our forests are our natural heritage
and it is in the public’s greatest interest for
them to remain under public ownership.
What ever happens – we would rather our forests
remained as publicly owned lands so that WE can
decide how they could be managed and not a
foreign energy company, a rich landowner
expanding territory, a leisure developer for shooting rights or holiday parks.
Read our Position Statement
If you feel the same way – sign the 38 Degrees
petition then go here to find out how to contact your MP.
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung