Campaigners hail forest sale U-turn

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Feb 17 12:54:58 GMT 2011

Campaigners hail forest sale U-turn
(UKPA) – 1 hour ago - Campaigners have hailed the
"people power" which has forced the Government to
abandon plans to privatise England's public forests.
News that Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman
is to announce a halt to the consultation into
proposals to sell thousands of hectares of
woodland has been welcomed by grassroots
campaigners and conservation charities.
The proposals put out for consultation last month
detail measures to dispose of up to 100% of
England's 258,000 hectare public forest estate,
which is currently managed by the Forestry
Commission, over the next 10 years. They included
a £250 million sale of leaseholds for
commercially valuable forests to timber
companies, measures to allow communities,
charities and even local authorities to buy or
lease woods, and plans to transfer well-known
"heritage" woods such as the New Forest into the hands of charities.
But the proposals attracted cross-party
opposition and sparked a public outcry, with
critics arguing they threatened public access and
wildlife, and campaign group 38 Degrees started a
Save Our Forests petition which attracted more than 532,000 signatures.
Executive director David Babbs said: "Some people
say signing petitions and emailing MPs never
changes anything, but it did this time. This is
what people power looks like, and over half a
million of us are feeling very proud of what we've achieved together."
The Woodland Trust welcomed the U-turn but warned
that the campaign to protect and restore England's ancient forests must go on.
Sue Holden, chief executive of the trust, said:
"Whilst we welcome the removal of threats to
public access... ministers have made strong
commitments over the past few weeks to increase
protection for ancient woods, and we will be
holding them to these commitments."
Labour leader Ed Miliband, who had urged the
Government to drop the "ludicrous" policy and
pointed out the "irony" that the Conservative
Party's symbol is a tree, said the U-turn was a
chaotic and incompetent way to run Government.
Fiona Reynolds, director general of the National
Trust, one of the charities potentially in line
to take on the heritage forests, said the change
of heart was the "right decision".

British Mountaineering Council: Cameron unhappy with Forestry Sale
http://thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=4140

David Cameron hinted yesterday, during Prime
Minister’s Questions, that he was unhappy with
the Forestry Commission plans. Reports of an end
to the public consultation are also slowly emerging.
The Labour leader, Ed Miliband, clearly stated in
the House of Commons yesterday that "virtually
every person in the country could see selling off
our forests was a foolish and short-sighted
policy but they went ahead regardless. Now they
are panicked into a retreat hours after Mr
Cameron said they would carry on with their consultation

This is a chaotic and incompetent way to run government."
He went on to claim that the consultation
currently underway was on how to ‘flog off the
forests, not on whether to flog off the forests’.
He pointed out that half a million people have
signed a petition against the plans, and
challenged the Prime Minister as to whether he
was happy with his flagship policy on forestry.
Mr Cameron replied: “the short answer to that is no
.
As I have said before in this house, it is a
consultation that has been put forward, and we
have had a range of interesting responses to it,
but what is important is that we should be making
sure that, whatever happens, we increase access
to our forests, we increase biodiversity and we
do not make the mistake that was made under the
last Government, where they sold forests with no access rights at all.”
Following the debate in the House of Commons, an
article appeared in the Guardian which states
that the Prime Minister has now ordered ministers
to carry out the government's biggest U-turn
since the general election by abandoning plans to
change the ownership of 258,000 hectares of state-owned woodland.

Caroline Spelman, the Environment Secretary, is
expected to announce within the next 24 hours,
what will happen to the consultation on the sale
of forests. It is hoped she will;
• End the consultation on plans to dispose of
about half of the 258,000 hectares of woodland in
England run by the Forestry Commission by 2020.
• Establish an independent panel with
environmentalists to reach consensus on reforms
to improve access and biodiversity in forests.
• Drop clauses in the Public Bodies bill that
would allow the government to sell off all of
England's forests. Under current laws only 15% of forests can be sold.

One government source said: "We have heard, we
have listened. The consultation will be canned.
The consultation will be terminated. It is now a
case of coming up with something everyone is happy with."
If the announcement comes and is true, it is
fantastic that we have all had such an impact – a
real power of the people moment. The BMC will be
listening intently, particularly over plans to
amend the Public Bodies Bill – this still remains
one of the biggest threats to the Forestry
Commission Estate, giving Ministers the power to
sell the whole Estate without further legislation.
The BMC this week has launched their Access
Charter, calling on Government to secure and
enhance public access to the whole of the English countryside.
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Download.aspx?id=763

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung