Fwd: Sherwood / Forest of Dean / Other Forests Under Threat

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 5 10:43:19 GMT 2011

'The enemies of wood," Roger Deakin wrote in
Wildwood,<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/jul/15/scienceandnature.features>"are
always the enemies of humanity." I've been thinking of Deakin a lot
since news surfaced of the coalition's plan to sell all of the Forestry
Commission <http://www.forestry.gov.uk/>'s English land. What would Deakin,
that planter of pips, that weaver of
ash<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006/sep/16/featuresreviews.guardianreview14>,
have made of this grand arboreal auction? And I've been thinking, too,
of something WH Auden once