Law and Justice - and the power of the landless

Malcolm Ramsay malcolm.ramsay at talk21.com
Tue Jan 4 12:18:09 GMT 2011

I tried posting this last week but it didn't reach the group so I'm trying
again.

In a couple of recent posts, Foundations of social justice and Circulation of
wealth,  I've argued that significant progress towards social justice will only
come about through establishing a parallel society, with a long-term  goal of
providing new foundations for the system we live in; and that  this society
should be based on surrendering certain 'selfish' rights  (principally the right
to bequeath to our descendants more than they  could reasonably claim as their
'fair share') in a way which would, over  a long period, bring land under a
fairer set of laws. That's not, in  itself, a strategy which is likely to
directly bring any noticeable  advantage to the current  generation, but I
believe there might be indirect benefits which could  lead to fairly rapid
change. To see how, it's necessary to look at why  change is so hard to bring
about.

For all its faults our existing  system has progressed enormously over the
centuries - but in doing so  it has largely neutralised the forces that drove
that progress. When  inequality was so great that huge numbers of people were
prepared to  agitate for reform, there was no possibility for the political
classes  to avoid it - if they hadn't made concessions, they ran the risk of the
system being swept away. But the concessions which have been made in the  past
have changed the dynamics; there's no longer a grossly  disadvantaged majority
who cannot be ignored - the majority now are  probably more fearful (wrongly) of
losing what they have, than hopeful  of gaining from reform - and the truly
dispossessed have shrunk to a  proportion where their grievances get lost among
the less  serious complaints of the majority.

In a political system which  elevates the will of the majority above all else -
but provides no means  of representing depth of feeling - incremental reform
through political  means, of anything which is central to the social structure,
becomes  harder and harder with every advance. At every step you need the
support  of over 300 MPs whose main concern is not justice, but power - and
whose position is dependent on a mass of constituents who are mostly too
focused on their own concerns to appreciate the benefits of fundamental  reform.
In a culture which has self-interest at its heart, it doesn't  need any
wickedness or manipulation for reform to be blocked, it happens  just through
inertia. When a problem which needs addressing, like  inherited wealth, is so
deeply embedded that people think of it as part  of the natural order, reform is
permanently side-lined because  Parliament always has more immediate issues to
deal  with.

But Parliament is not the only power in our system -  there's also the
judiciary. Unlike politicians, judges come to their  position through a route
which requires them (in principle at least) to  set aside self-interest, and
they spend their working lives in a culture  which (in principle at least)
encourages them to recognise and  acknowledge injustice even if they're unable
to prevent it, a culture  which prides itself on historical developments which
have established  constraints on the wilful exercise of power by government. And
to bring  about change through the courts, it's not necessary to persuade 300 of
them that it's in their interests, it's only necessary to persuade a  small
number of them that the current situation is contrary to law.

And  there's the rub - it's not enough to argue that it's unjust, it's
necessary to show that it's unlawful. There's a good reason for that,  however,
because justice depends on law; without law,  there are no rights we can claim,
because without law there can be no  authority to enforce them; without law,
there's only might. So in every  case they hear, the courts must consider how
their judgement fits into  the body of law. If justice and law are in conflict,
they have no  discretion simply to disregard the law - they must either identify
some  specific point of law as being wrong (in which case they may - perhaps -
be able to change it), or they must make a ruling which ignores  justice.

So if a group of squatters occupy somewhere, and argue  in court that they have
a natural right to land, the judge might well  agree that, in justice, they
should be allowed to stay. But unless they  can point to some specific perverse
feature of the law which, if it were  changed would give them a better claim to
that land than the existing  owner, then he has no option but to rule against
them; because to do  anything else would throw into question every land  title
in the whole country. As far as the courts are concerned it's  more important
that the law should be certain than that it should be  just, because without
certainty about the law - and the confidence which  comes from it - much of the
activity which people value simply wouldn't  take place. Unless we can identify
precisely what is wrong with the  law, and propose a specific change which would
put it right, we're stuck  with what we've got.

Even then, the courts would quite likely  not be able to make that change. Under
our existing constitution, they  can change the common law, which has built up
as a result of centuries  of court judgements, but they have no power to change
statute law, which  results from Acts of Parliament. In principle Parliament can
make  whatever laws it likes - it has no check on it, beyond the power of the
electorate, once every four or five years, to change the individuals  sitting in
it - and once some injustice becomes  embedded in law, Parliament can ignore it
unless its victims can  persuade large numbers of people to protest about it.
The courts can  neither overturn bad laws, nor compel Parliament to revise them.

So  what would the Supreme Court do if it believed that a statute violates a
fundamental right? The principle of Parliamentary sovereignty is a  major
feature of the British constitution, though there does seem to be  some
disagreement among legal authorities about how absolute it is; some  senior
judges clearly regard Parliament as being subject to an  undefined higher
principle, the Rule of Law, because otherwise it  depends ultimately on the
threat of a public uprising to keep it honest;  others clearly believe that the
court must accept as law everything  that Parliament enacts, because to do
otherwise would make the judges  the ultimate authority. But there's no
disagreement that the present  position is fundamentally flawed and that it
holds real  potential for conflict between Parliament and the judiciary.

This  is where the opportunity lies for a new society to empower demands for
reform. The judges, quite rightly, fear their own power; they fear that
stepping outside the existing constitution means stepping outside the
boundaries of Law - if they have only their own consciences to restrain  them
where will it lead? But at the same time they recognise that the  existing
system is unbalanced and that current political processes give  Parliament power
to violate the standards we profess to live by.

They  are afraid of stepping outside the existing constitution, not because
they have an unqualified attachment to the current system (they have,  after
all, effectively modified it many times over the centuries) but  because they
would be detaching themselves from any source of law. If  there were an
alternative constitution for them to step into, however,  the dynamics of the
dilemma change; at  present they face a choice between enforcing something they
believe is  wrong or taking on powers they believe they shouldn't have; instead
they  would face a choice between enforcing something they believe is wrong  or
recognising an alternative source of authority. That would take the  issue out
of the sphere of law and into the sphere of politics, allowing  them to decline
to give a judgement - which would in turn force  Parliament to confront the
issue.

As individuals we can't offer  them that possibility - but as members of a
society, even quite a small  society, we can. It could only happen through a
court case, on an issue  where the law is manifestly unjust; and it would be
necessary both to  clearly identify a point of law which was at the root of that
injustice,  and to offer a coherent alternative which could be adopted without
undue disruption. In addition to that, the members of the society would  need to
have bound themselves to a system which  clearly defines the limits of
government, but which recognises both its  necessity and its complexity, one
which avoids the most obvious flaws  of the existing system, but which is close
enough to it in form that the  two can be easily reconciled - a system, in other
words, which the  judges could regard as a credible source of law.

Land law is an  area where the current system is manifestly unjust - which has
been  manifestly unjust for so long, that it can't reasonably be argued that
reform can be brought about through existing political processes. But  there is
a relatively simple change in the law (which I mentioned in  this group a few
weeks ago) which could dissolve the current monopoly of  the landowning classes
without requiring any drastic, sudden changes;  all that would be needed
initially would be a ruling that the power to  designate the new owner of land
(when the previous one dies) is a  responsibility which the state delegates to
the  landowner (which should therefore be exercised in the public interest),
rather than a right which he can use to transmit wealth to his  offspring.

That change of perspective, if it were accepted as  law, would open the way for
challenges to large bequests of land, but it  would not, of itself, cause any
redistribution. In the absence of a  challenge, land would still go to whoever
the landowner nominated - and  the onus would be on the landless to make that
challenge. This has the  advantage that it would allow rules to be developed on
a case by case  basis (the way most law was developed originally) which
by-passes a  serious barrier to reform - the sheer complexity of creating
equitable  rules for redistribution through statute makes the problem so
daunting  that even those legislators who would like to tackle it simply don't
know how to begin.

In order to bring a case to court, the  society would have to establish some
rules about who could mount  a challenge, and under what circumstances - and
those rules would have  to respect existing laws for the courts to agree to hear
it. In  practice, bringing these arguments to court would probably involve some
landless members of the society squatting on land whose previous owner  has
recently died, and invoking human rights legislation to claim legal  title to
it. (This would involve overcoming another legal barrier, to  make the step from
recognition of a general human right to land, to  establishing a specific right
to the piece of land in question, but I  believe that can be achieved with a
relatively simple bit of reasoning -  however, I'm going to leave that for
another post.)

I can't say  how the Supreme Court would respond in practice to the situation
I've  just outlined, but they're clearly dissatisfied with the constitution as
it stands today, and are very unwilling to enforce laws which are  manifestly
unjust. It's possible that the changes I  envisage do in fact lie within the
court's power, because land law was  largely judge-made (i.e. it evolved over
the centuries through case  law), in which case they would be able to make the
rulings we need, and  create valid legal titles for the squatters. However the
case law has  been 'tidied up' by parliamentary legislation, and if that
legislation  explicitly treats the landowner's power to bequeath land as a
right,  then the courts would be unable to treat it as a responsibility
delegated to him by the state - even if they recognise (as I'm sure they  will)
that that view is more consistent with natural law.

I  don't think there's any possibility, in that case, that they would  simply
adopt the laws of the new society (so, in the situation above,  they couldn't
rule that the squatters had a valid title to the land) but  if they can treat it
as a political rather than a legal issue then they  can decline to give a ruling
(which would mean that no  eviction order would be issued). Parliament would
then be obliged to  either reinforce the existing unjust law (which would risk
open conflict  with the courts) or properly address the whole issue of
inheritance. In  a society with an incoherent constitution centred on an
impotent  hereditary monarch, that debate will open the whole system to radical
change. If there's a coherent alternative ready and waiting - and  driving the
debate - the enemies of reform will have no solid ground to  fight from.

As individuals we have no power to make law the  servant of justice ... but as
members of a properly constituted society  we might.

Malcolm Ramsay