[Diggers350] 'The Value of Voluntary Simplicity', etc

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sun Jan 16 04:26:16 GMT 2011

On Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:37:58 pm you wrote:
> What is the copyright situation?

Far as I know it's out of copyright. In the USA any work published before 1992
would have its copyright lapse after 28 years unless formally registered; even
if registered, copyright would only last 56 years (the period set in the 1909
Act, applicable when this was written) -- meaning it lapsed in 1992. That's
well before the 'Sonny Bonny' legislation (a.k.a "Mickey Mouse Protection
Act", because Disney basically funded Sonny Bono to get the law through to
prevent mickey Mouse falling into the public domain) came into force in 2003
and extended everything.

People are getting jumpy at the moment because, as part of the legal action
againt Google scanning books, the copyright mafia in the USA are trying to
impose a settlement that effectively cedes all power over all creative works to
the intellectual property lobby (the decision in that case is well overdue
becuase they have to sort out if it offends the US constitution in relation to
free expression/anti-trust law).

It's only in recent years that the intellectual property extortion mafia have
changed the law so that all works published after 1992 automatically get 70
years. But, as far as I can see, I'm sharing this work to allows its message
to be widely read and acted upon. Gregg died in 1974; even so I would think
that he'd not object to his message being spread to fulfil the purposes for
which it was created today. Consequently, I'd quite happily email this around
even if I knew it was still in copyright!

Intellectual property is, in terms of history, the ultimate example of "the
cop in your head". I don't apply blanket copyright restrictions to the stuff I
write (see the FRAW web site, everything's open licensed; even my book 'Energy
Beyond Oil' is open licensed!). The only way we're going to beat this bullshit
intellectual repression is to ignore it and carry on regardless -- or open
license stuff as I do in order to avoid confusion.

P.

--

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc