Cuts Cafe, Leeds City Centre: One Week To Go

slapach at riseup.net slapach at riseup.net
Fri Jan 21 17:52:24 GMT 2011

Cuts Cafe, Leeds City Centre
Jan 31st - Febuary 6th*
more info: www.cutscafeleeds.wordpress.com and http://on.fb.me/cutscafe

*1. What's that again*

A week long occupation to explore the changing values that determine how
space, buildings and resources are used – beginning in the city we live in.
We're occupying a city centre space that has major plans for redevelopment,
another example of the promotion of profit over people. While national and
local governments cut welfare services for those who most need them, we want
to create an alternative Leeds where the diverse needs and desires of
residents, not corporate interest, determine the way that space and
resources are used.

In the space, we will be exploring how we can mobilise and take action in
Leeds that takes us closer to a city controlled by the community not
undemocratic politicians and profit-hungry big business.

*2. Timetable**

*We've now got a draft timetable of scheduled events up online, check it out
at www.cutscafeleeds.wordpress.com/timetable . It includes workshops and
talks around benefits, housing, regeneration, learning from past resistance,
unionism and disability as well as action planning around the cuts. There'll
be dinner at 7 every day for a small donation and tea and hot drinks on tap.

We'll also have ongoing activities to participate with whenever you drop in.
There'll be a chance to get creative, plot memories on a map of Leeds, share
stories about your experience of services and compare your priorities with
those of the national government.

*3. Fun

*As well as workshops there's a packed programme of fun, including a
fully-furnished cinema, a band night, two dance performances and outdoor
games throughout the city centre. We're also hoping for it to be a nice
space to spend time in, so if you're good with decor or have any spare
furnityre, pop over on Sunday and Monday to help beautify.

*4. Where is it?

*We're keeping schtum about the exact location for now, but we'll make it
public nearer the time. It's going to be in a city centre location with lots
of transport links.

*5. Get Involved

*Keen to be part of it? Have a workshop to offer? Want to help us put on the
week? Email us back on reclaimleeds at gmail.com and we'll be in touch.

*6. More info

*We're updating our website with a lot more information, so check it out and
subscribe to updates if you're interested. You'll also find a page talking
about why we're fighting the cuts and a page setting out a "safer spaces"
agreement to ensure people feel comfortable inside the space.

Pass it on, and see you there,