Campaign launched to protect Lake District forests

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Jan 27 23:49:13 GMT 2011

Friends of the Lake District has a long history
of involvment with land management, beginning
with buying our first farm in 1937 to protect it
and to stem the decline in traditional Lakeland
farming. All our farms were eventually given to
the National Trust in the mid-1970s.
http://www.fld.org.uk/our-land.html

Today we own six areas of land:
In 1937 in an effort to stem the decline in
traditional Lakeland farming and to protect the
distinctive qualities of Lakeland farms we formed
the Lake District Farm Estates Ltd. Over a period
of nearly 40 years Lake District Farm Estates
purchased 17 farms in areas felt to be vulnerable
to development, including Rannerdale Farm,
Buttermere, Skelwith Fold Farm, Langdale and Yew Tree Farm in Borrowdale.
Lake District Farm Estates made a timely
contribution to the conservation movement filling
a gap at a critical time during the 1930s and
1940s before the creation of the Lake District
National Park and before the National Trust had
sufficient funds to embark on large-scale farms
purchases. All the farms were eventually gifted
to the National Trust in the mid-1970s.
Since the 1970s we have assisted other
organisations with land purchases, particularly
where public access is improved. To celebrate our
50th anniversary in 1984 we bought Little
Langdale Tarn and gifted it to the National Trust
and in 2001 we gave £17,000 to help the National
Park Authority buy Blea Brows on the shores of
Coniston Water. Since the late 1980s we have
again begun to purchase land when appropriate and
where enhancement can be carried out. Today we own six areas of land.

POPULAR PLACE: Whinlatter Forest Park could be
under threat if the Government goes ahead with plans to sell off woodland

Campaign launched to protect Lake District
forests
http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/farming
/campaign-launched-to-protect-lake-district-forests-1.803602?referrerPath=2.1962

Last updated at 21:47, Thursday, 27 January 2011

THE Friends of the Lake District has launched a
campaign against the sale of publicly owned woodlands.

The Government is about to launch a consultation
on selling off England’s public forests.

This includes more than 30 forests and woodlands across Cumbria.

Legislation is also going through Parliament that
would give ministers the power to sell off all
the forests currently managed by the Forestry Commission.

The Government has four years to sell off all
forests owned by the Forestry Commission as part of the consultation.

The Friends of the Lake District is asking people
to join its campaign, Stop The Sell Off, and will
hold a rally in Whinlatter Forest on Saturday, February 19.

A spokesman said: “The Government is deciding
which forests will go as part of an initial
consultation to sell off 15 per cent of forests
owned by the Forestry Commission.

“We are pretty confident that Whinlatter won’t be part of this phase.

“What is more worrying, however, is that
ministers are trying to change the Public Bodies
Reform Bill to allow them to sell off all forests
owned by the Forestry Commission and, if that was
the case, then Whinlatter Forest would definitely be under threat.

“Rigg Wood was sold by the Forestry Commission
last year and the new owners have closed the car
park, removed benches and put up fences which
will make it difficult for people to access the forest in the future.

“We don’t want to see the same happen to our remaining forests and woodlands.”
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung