Join with hundreds of other walkers to fight poverty step by step - Ekta Parishad

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Thu Jul 28 18:44:04 BST 2011

From: Warrington <warrington at christian-aid.org>
Sent: Thursday, 28 July, 2011 16:22:55
Subject: Join with hundreds of other walkers to fight poverty step by step

Join with hundreds of other walkers to fight poverty step by step

In India , thousands of poor dalits and tribal people are putting aside two
handfuls of rice a week. They will be walking for a month in heat and basic
conditions and losing a months income that they can ill afford to give up.
They're making these sacrifices because they believe so strongly in the cause.

Access to land is vital in helping communities support their own livelihoods.
Lack of access results in exclusion    of poor people and discrimination
against
them. In October 2011, Christian Aid's partner Ekta Parishad is  organising a
year-long march of dalit and tribal people. Starting with 1,000 marchers
leaving
Orissa, this will grow to 100,000 strong in 2012 by the time the marchers set
out from Gwalior for Dehli. The marchers' goal is to claim rights to lands
that
their families have worked and lived on for generations.

Join us on the Sandstone Trail in September 2011 and in the Lakes in Autumn
2012
to walk in solidarity with these marchers and raise vital funds to support
Ekta
Parishad and projects tackling inequality across Asia .

Registration fee £15.

If you can’t do the whole walk then consider doing just one day or a shorter
7mile walk circular walk from Frodsham is also available.

Register to take part NOW
Visit: www.christianaid.org.uk/walks
Email warrington at christian-aid.org
Call: 01925 582 829
Christian Aid - East Africa Emergency Appeal.
Help us respond to the food crisis in East Africa. Donate via our website or
give £5 by texting AFRICA to 70800

--

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc