12th June - Open Farm Sunday

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Jun 9 13:16:41 BST 2011

Find your local open farms....
http://www.farmsunday.org/ofs/visit/findfarm.eb

Emacs!

Open Farm Sunday is an annual event that gives
everyone the chance to meet the farmers who grow
their food and care for the countryside.
Organised by LEAF (Linking Environment And
Farming), it benefits from generous cross-industry support.

Some of the sponsors are highly iffy & hoping to
gain credibility by this open farm day
Asda, Syngenta, Marks & Spencer & Barclay's Bank
At Asda we believe that the best friend to the
British farmer is the well-informed consumer
which is why we are a principal sponsor of Open
Farm Sunday. Open Farm Sunday encourages farmers,
across the entire food chain, to open their farm
gates to the public. The aim is to build a
greater connection between farmers and their
local community, ultimately educating consumers
about where food comes from. For farmers the
length and breadth of Great Britain, this
provides a fantastic opportunity. It means they
can publicise their presence in the local
community and teach others about the countryside
and what it means to be a British farmer.
         Defra is pleased to support the
excellent work of Open Farm Sunday in encouraging
people to re-connect with farming and how and
where their food is produced.  The Government is
committed to supporting and developing British
farming and we want to encourage people to be
aware of where their food comes from and how they
can work with farmers for the benefit of their
local community.  Farm visits play an important
part in helping people along this journey.
         John Deere is delighted to join Open
Farm Sunday as the project’s machinery sponsor in
2011. As well as being the world’s leading
manufacturer of agricultural, turf and
construction equipment, education and the
environment are two of the key principles of our
worldwide business. OFS provides an ideal
opportunity, not only to show a wider public
audience how advanced farming technologies are
being applied to the benefit of farming,
efficient food production and sound environmental
management, including the reduction of harmful
emissions, but also to encourage young people to
consider a challenging and worthwhile career in
farming and agricultural engineering.
         Farmers Weekly is the leading farming
publication in the UK and is pleased to be the
official media partner for Open Farm Sunday.
Connecting consumers with the people who grow
their food and care for the countryside is vital
for the long term health of the industry. Farmers
Weekly has a proud history of representing and
informing readers, and is pleased to support the
many farmers hosting events as they get ready for the big day.

                 Frontier Agriculture is the UK’s
leading crop inputs and grain marketing business,
recognised for its close customer relationships
with farmers and grain consumers and its
successful management of the whole arable supply
chain. Frontier recognises the importance of
educating children and adults about how their
food is produced in a sustainable way and is
delighted to support its farmer customers and the
wider farming industry through its involvement with Open Farm Sunday.

LEAF Marque is the leading environmental food
label that demonstrates that the food you buy is
grown with care for the future of our
environment, wildlife and countryside. LEAF
Marque farmers are actively improving the
environment and we want all people to visit LEAF
Marque farms to see how farmers are caring for
the countryside and how their food is produced.

Natural England says thumbs up for wildlife
friendly farming.  For this year's Open Farm
Sunday we are specifically supporting the
development and delivery of the Open Farm Sunday
workshops in England.  The aim is to give farmers
the skills, confidence and knowledge to organise
inspiring and memorable events for Open Farm
Sunday and throughout the year for educational
and group visits.  The workshops are being held
as a partnership between LEAF (Linking
Environment and Farming) and FACE (Farming And Countryside Education).
         The NFU is delighted to be a principal
sponsor of Open Farm Sunday. Educating consumers
about the importance of farming and Why Farming
Matters is at the heart of the NFU’s
public-facing work. Open Farm Sunday provides the
perfect opportunity for many of our members to
open up their farm gates and connect with the
people around them, showcasing their farms and
the skills used to produce a wide range of
quality foods at the same time as caring for the
natural environment.  We are also very happy to
be continuing our support providing farmers with
the information and resource they need to make
their 2011 Open Farm Sunday events a success.
         Syngenta is one of the world’s leading
plant science businesses.  Our purpose is to
bring plant potential to life by improving yields
and protecting crops from pests and diseases so
that we can feed the world’s growing population.
Improving people’s connections with food and
farming is a great ambition and Open Farm Sunday
is a fantastic way in which to achieve this. We
are proud to play our part in supporting food
producers and in showing the public the amazing
job our farmers do in protecting the countryside and growing high quality food.

         Waitrose is delighted to sponsor Open
Farm Sunday in 2011, and to support this showcase
day for British farming. It is a fantastic
opportunity for everyone to spend a fun day out
seeing how their food is produced, and how
farmers take care of the countryside around them.
Waitrose is passionate about selling great
tasting British food and is proud of the many
farmers and growers who supply it, many of whom
will be opening their farms on this day.
         "As family bakers, we at Warburtons work
with over 350 farmers in the UK to grow our own
wheat. We are therefore passionate about
highlighting the link between farms and the food
on our dinner tables. In sponsoring Open Farm
Sunday, Warburtons hopes to help people gain a
better understanding of the vital role farmers
play in delivering the food we eat every day –
from seed to crumb." Brett Warburton, Executive Director, Warburtons.