Today's Daily Mail hatchet job on Advisory Service for Squatters

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Mar 6 01:50:15 GMT 2011

Horrible, I trust ASS are responding.
Bristol squatters have just been evicted from a
warehouse in Unity Street owned by Daily Mail and
General Trust subsidiary Northcliffe BTW.

Professional agencies marketing empty homes to
potential SQUATTERS (and they'll even help you break in for a fee!)
By Paul Bracchi - Last updated at 8:55 AM on 5th March 2011
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363157/Squatters-Inc-As-professional-agencies-MARKET-vacant-family-homes-break-beware-going-holiday.html

The advert wouldn’t look out of place in any
estate agent’s window: ‘Ground floor Victorian
flat. Garden. Parking. Lovely Road. Five minutes from Woking station.’
The property is being ‘marketed’ — along with
scores of others — from the third-floor office of
a building near a Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet in an alleyway in East London.
The addresses are displayed on a noticeboard on
the wall. Most give just the house number and the
street: there’s one in Winnington Road, N2

Abbey Road NW18
 Gypsy Road Gardens SE27
 Normandy Road NW10.
‘Take your pick,’ says a young woman with short
spiky hair who is manning the premises.
The properties put up on the noticeboard have one
thing in common. They are empty. Well, for the
moment at least. Nor will it cost the stream of
‘customers’ looking for somewhere to live, who
troop in and out of these premises in Whitechapel
every day, a penny to move in.
All that is needed is a ‘crowbar, torch and
screwdriver’ (the tools are featured on flyers
and posters in the office) to break in if an open
window or unlocked door cannot be found.
If you don’t have a house-breaking kit to hand,
don’t worry: the Advisory Service For Squatters
(ASS) knows a man who does. Matt has a posting on
the ASS website called ‘handyman services’
offering ‘electrician work, plumbing, gas work, locksmith’.
‘I can help u open secure buildings,’ he writes.
‘I have my own tools. Don’t be afraid to call me,
even if u have problem with [sic] something is not listed.’
Matt, it turns out, is a 20-year-old Hungarian.
He works — when he is not breaking the law — as
an operator in the control room of a taxi firm.
I pose as a squatter, and Matt tells me he had
‘opened’ more than 100 properties for squatters,
mainly in London, for a ‘small fee’.
‘There are many ways to get in if you cannot get
in through an open window or door,’ he boasts.
‘You can force the window, and then just fix it
or replace the damage. You just have to make it
invisible. The police can’t do anything then.’
He’s right, sadly. This area of the law isn’t
worth the paper it’s written on, as scores of
middle-class homeowners — more affluent post
codes are increasingly being targeted — are now
finding to their cost in the capital and elsewhere.
Take ‘Winnington Road’, for example, one of the
addresses on that insidious ‘hit-list’ back at
the HQ of the Advisory Service for Squatters. The
house, it transpires, is in Hampstead. It was
built two years ago but has only recently been sold.
The new owners, a couple in their 40s, were
visiting the property when we arrived to check it
out. They were horrified to discover that their
home, worth around £8 million, might be about to
be invaded. They said they would be installing
‘security immediately — someone to stay here day
and night’ until they moved in.
Neighbours told us they had been visited by
police warning them about the threat of squatters in the area.
Squatting itself is not illegal, for England is
one of the few countries in the world that
recognises so-called ‘squatters’ rights’. But
breaking into a ‘vacant’ building — a skill in
which Matt the Handyman excels — to gain occupation is.
Not that there is fat chance of ‘Matt’ or any
other culprit being prosecuted. As the ASS
gleefully points out in their handbook, police
can only make an arrest ‘if there were
witnesses’, and the ‘ASS know the law better than
most owners or their solicitors, and better than many judges’.
In other words, they know every loophole in the
book. So much so that volunteers from the group
often represent fellow squatters in court during
eviction proceedings. They also help organise
‘Practical Squatting Evenings’ at locations
throughout London, where they provide workshops on how to occupy homes.
More alarmingly, squatters all over Britain use
the group’s website and social networking sites
such as Twitter and Facebook to communicate with
each other and share ‘intelligence’ about
potential squats — or ‘empties’ as they are known
in this pernicious subculture.
The importance of  this ‘research’ is spelt out
in an 83-page booklet, published by the ASS,
called the Squatters Handbook (yours for £1.50).
‘There are two important things that you should
try to find out about a place, especially if you
are going to do a lot of work on it: who owns it, and what are their plans?’
I dread to think what we’ll discover when we finally get our house back
The information, potential squatters are told,
can usually be found through the Land Registry
(‘each search costs £4’) and by scouring the
planning register at the town hall.
The results of this detective work are often
posted on squatters’ forums on the internet,
along with photographs of properties. One such
forum has more than 12,000 members; another, Squatters Unite, has 300 members.
It would be difficult to imagine a more cynical
and co-ordinated assault on the property owning
class, a campaign spearheaded by the wretched Advisory Service for Squatters.
Their ‘calling card’ is becoming as ubiquitous in
London as legitimate estate agents boards: it’s a
legal notice from the Squatters Handbook.
One such ‘notice’ was left in the window of the
five-bedroom house John Hamilton-Brown was renovating in North London.
‘Take Notice,’ it warned, ‘that we live in this
property, it is our home and we intend to stay here

‘That any entry or attempt to enter these
premises without our permission is therefore a
criminal offence ... That if you attempt to enter
by violence we will prosecute you. You may
receive a sentence of up to six months’
imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £5,000; that
if you want to get us out you will have to issue
a claim for possession in the County Court or in the High Court.’
That was in January, shortly after 36-year-old Mr
Hamilton-Brown bought the £1 million property
with the intention of turning it into a home for
his wife Rebecca and their two daughters, aged
four and two. He is still waiting to get back in.
‘It breaks my heart to walk past the house with
the kids and be asked by our oldest “When can we
move in?” and “Why can’t we go inside and have a
look?” explained a weary, quietly furious Mr Hamilton-Brown.
‘I dread to think what we’ll discover when we
finally get our house back. The neighbours tell
me they have been unable to sleep because these
scroungers have been holding parties until five
or six in the morning most nights, then sleeping it off in the day.’
About a dozen squatters from France, Spain,
Poland and England forced a window in the early
hours to get in. There were no witnesses, so he
couldn’t call the police because it was a civil
matter. His only option was to go to court.
Mr Hamilton-Brown was not eligible for Legal Aid,
so he represented himself to save money. The
squatters, on the other hand, did have a
solicitor. Because they were EU citizens and
unemployed, they qualified for free legal advice.
‘It’s just wrong,’ said Mr Hamilton-Brown.
After four trips to court and nearly two
blood-pressure raising months — when, as the Mail
reported last week, he was forced to communicate
with the squatters through his own letterbox —
they are finally due to be evicted next week.
‘No doubt they’re already planning their next
move, and another family will be forced to go
through what we have been through,’ said Mr
Hamilton-Brown, who has been living with his family in a flat nearby.
Such stories are, alas, becoming commonplace.
Statistics released by legal publisher Sweet &
Maxwell show that 29 cases related to squatters
and trespassers were heard in the High Court in
the year to December 2009, the most up-to-date
figures available. This compares with just 10 the
previous year, two in 2007, and just one in 2005.
This, however, represents only the tip of the
iceberg, because, traditionally, very few
prosecutions against squatters reach this stage.
The squatters are too clever for that, dragging
out the legal process until the last possible
moment, then moving on before an actual court hearing is due.
The government said it was now ‘considering
strengthening the law to give homeowners more rights’
Today, there are few areas of Britain’s major
cities which aren’t blighted by squatters.
Numbers have been boosted by an influx of
squatters from Europe, forced out by debt crises in their own countries.
And one of their first ports of call when they
arrive in Britain is the Advisory Service for
Squatters in Whitechapel. Take the following
appeal that was recently posted on the ASS
website. It was from a 21-year-old unemployed
Latvian and is far from an isolated example.
‘Can someone lend me a drill,’ he writes. ‘I need
to open a squat
 no one I know has one. Or, you
can come with me to open it, and I’ll give you the best room.’
The Latvian was believed to have been among the
30-strong group who took over the former home of
ITV director John Ormerod in Highgate on Boxing
Day before being removed by bailiffs.
Such tactics are, whatever they might say
publicly, encouraged by the ASS — a collective funded by private donations.
Among the volunteers on duty this week, when a
Mail reporter posing as a ‘first-time’ squatter
visited the premises, was the young woman with
short spiky hair we referred to earlier. Her name is Jess.
She was sitting on the floor advising a couple
about a forthcoming court case. Her advice to our
reporter about how to gain entry to a property: ‘Use a crowbar.’
‘You can do anything if no one sees you,’ she
said. ‘I wouldn’t worry about CCTV — there is
more footage in London than there are people to watch it.
‘But if you are going to use tools, then you need
someone to be on the lookout. If the cops come,
and even if it is as plain as day that you are
holding a crowbar, just drop it, because then it
is just your word against theirs.’
Jess gave the reporter a copy of the Squatters
Handbook. On Page 21, there are detailed
instructions, along with a diagram, of how to take apart locks.
‘Technically, changing a lock is criminal damage,
but it is the first thing you need to do,’ Jess said.
Another tip on the same page: break in during the
day, and wear council-style overalls to avoid
suspicion. ‘Some places are almost impossible to
get into without making a  lot of noise and
alerting neighbours. If this is the case, choose
a sensible time of the day — most people get a
bit jumpy if they hear suspicious noises at
night. Some people [squatters] wear
high-visibility vests and go in during the day.’
Or how about this piece of advice: ‘If there is
an alarm, it could be worth setting it off as an
experiment to see what response there is and how much time you might have.
Systems vary, but sensors can sometimes be
de-activated by covering them in tape or by
removing the batteries, and the noise can be
dulled on some alarms by piling on a few coats.
‘Ask around for more detailed advice, but
normally the best policy is to ignore the alarm,
secure the building and worry about it afterwards.’
The people who run the ASS are rather coy about
revealing their identity, preferring to give only their Christian names.
But the group, we have learned, rent their office
from the co-owners of the building.
Among them is Sonia Markham, a director of the
radical publication the Friends of Freedom Press,
which supports squatters and has an office in the same building.
She is also the sister-in-law of the late Corin
Redgrave, actor, prominent Trotskyist, and member
of the Workers Revolutionary Party.
Mrs Markham lives with her husband in a street in
leafy Wandsworth where homes sell for £1 million.
Would she like squatters moving into her front room?
‘If it were my house, I wouldn’t be particularly
pleased,’ she admitted this week. She insists,
however, that she did not condone squatters
taking the law into their own  hands, and said
she had ‘no connection’ with the Squatters
Advisory Service — which seems puzzling.
In the wake of the slew of damaging headlines
about squatters in recent months, the government
said it was now ‘considering strengthening the
law to give homeowners more rights’.
Shamefully, for the moment at least, squatters’ rights rule.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363157/Squatters-Inc-As-professional-agencies-MARKET-vacant-family-homes-break-beware-going-holiday.html

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung