Forest Campaigns' Network

MarkiB mark at tlio.org.uk
Fri Mar 11 12:33:08 GMT 2011

Representatives of forest campaigns from all over England met at Speech
House on Saturday 26th February to discuss how best to safeguard our
forests in the future, forming the new 'Forest Campaigns' Network'. The
organisations represented at this historic event were:

    * 38 Degrees (national)
    * Friends of Bourne Wood (Lincolnshire)
    * Save Cannock Chase (Staffordshire)
    * Save Our Forests (national)
    * Save Our Woods (national)
    * Save Sherwood Forest (Nottinghamshire)
    * Hands off our Forest (Gloucestershire)

Hands Off Our Forest chairman Rich Daniels chaired the day of discussions.
In his welcome he expressed the need to “re-motivate everyone and tell them
what’s going on. One thing that unites us all is the love for our forests.
I hope we can start to work more closely together and form a campaign that
helps us in the future.”

 ACTION

 Among other matters, it was agreed that the Forest Campaigns' Network
should:

    * Seek representation on the Panel being set up by the Government, and
to protest loudly if our views were not heard.
    * Maintain public interest with a Celebrate Our Forests event on 20th
March
    * Campaign to keep the Forestry Commission secure and up to strength

Other forest groups who have joined the Forest Campaigns' Network, but
were unable to attend the meeting are:

    Friends of Chopwell Wood (Tyne & Wear)

    Friends of Hurn’s Forests (Dorset)

    Friends of Thetford Forest Park (Norfolk)

    Keep Our Forests Public (Sussex)

    One Voice (New Forest)

    Save Haldon Forest (Devon)

    Save Sandlings Forests (Suffolk)

Forest Campaigns' Network says:

"WE DEMAND A SEAT ON THE PANEL!"

The first action of the newly formed Forest Campaigns Network has been to
send out press releases to all the media explaining its demand for a seat
on the Government Panel to determine the future of the public forests of
England.

The press release said:

    We have yet to hear of anyone with an interest in keeping our forests
public being invited on to the panel – that includes our forests’
inhabitants and frequent users, and the half-million-plus people that have
campaigned to keep our woods in public hands.

The full press release .

NEW ALLIANCE OF FOREST CAMPAIGN GROUPS CALLS FOR A PROPER SAY ON FUTURE OF
OUR PUBLIC WOODS

Many may have thought that after the Government made its U-turn following
a massive public outcry against the disposal of our forests that the many
campaigns that sprang up would have packed up and gone home victorious.

 But while the Government dumped its consultation and the forestry clauses
in the Public Bodies Bill, it has failed to give any indication of ditching
its policy of privatisation – which we view as a land grab from the people.
It is also pressing ahead with plans to decimate the Forestry Commission
(with a quarter – up to 500 - staff jobs set to go), and is setting up an
“independent” (but Government-appointed) panel to review the future of the
public forest estate.

 We have yet to hear of anyone with an interest in keeping our forests
public being invited on to the panel – that includes our forests’
inhabitants and frequent users, and the half-million-plus people that have
campaigned to keep our woods in public hands.

 The forestry minister Jim Paice is holding the cards close to his chest
regarding the panel. He told Parliament on Tuesday March 1: “I am sorry,
but I will not be drawn on the membership of the panel because once I give
way on one aspect of who might be on the panel, I will be drawn into
discussing everything.”

 One thing we have heard: the panel will only have a small number of
members. We believe that, as the future of our forests are being reviewed,
we – as those who use, inhabit, care deeply about them and are connected to
them – must be given a place on the panel.

Forest of Dean group Hands Off Our Forest has already written to the Prime
Minister and environment secretary Caroline Spelman requesting a seat, and
has not yet had a reply.

The Forest Campaigns’ Network was formed on February 28, 2011 to speak
with one voice to keep our forest in public hands and publicly run by the
Forestry Commission. We are calling on the Government to appoint one FCN
member to the panel, so the people wedded to our forests get some say in
their future. We will select someone with the necessary expertise and
knowledge, who also shares our aims.

The FCN is also promoting Celebrate Our Forests day across England on
March 20, on the eve of World Forestry Day. 38 Degrees plans to list events
country-wide where the public will be encouraged to demonstrate just how
much their forests mean to them, with rambles, cycle rides, picnics,
rallies and more being organised.

On Sunday 20th March, people all over England will be celebrating their
local forest by visiting it and using it.

   Whether you walk, cycle, ride, fish, bird-watch, or picnic in the
Forest of Dean, get out on Sunday 20th and show how proud we are of our
Forest.

 There will be BBQs all day at Wenchford, Nr Blakeney, Forest of Dean

 Cycle events are happening all over the country on the 20th. Here in the
Forest of Dean, HOOF are planning A Roll In The Woods, with both morning
and afternoon bike rides on two circuits – one for mountain bikers, the
other for families, leaving Pedalbikeaway (Cannop Cycle Centre)

Tony Farndon, from Save Our Forests, part of the FCN, said: “When you are
forced to make a u-turn, you can either go back home or you can try and
find a side street and still get to your destination. We ask the Government
not to seek this side street, but instead protect and increase public
benefits through a properly resourced Forestry Commission.”

Notes

* Groups that have joined the Forest Campaigns’ Network so far include 38
Degrees (national), Friends of Bourne Wood (Lincolnshire), Friends of
Chopwell Wood (Tyne & Wear), Friends of Hurn’s Forests (Dorset), Friends of
Thetford Forest Park (Norfolk), Hands Off Our Forest (Forest of Dean), Keep
Our Forests Public (Sussex), One Voice (New Forest), Save Cannock Chase
(Staffordshire), Save Haldon Forest (Devon), Save Our Forests (national),
Save Our Woods (national), Save Sandlings Forests (Suffolk) and Save
Sherwood Forest (Nottinghamshire). Invitations are being sent out to other
grassroots campaign groups from across England.