More eco-towns in green planning reforms

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 19:57:06 GMT 2011

More eco-towns in green planning reforms
10 March 2010 | By Isabel Hardman
http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/more-eco-towns-in-green-planning-reforms/6508882.article
Housing minister John Healey revealed two more
local authorities have joined the list of ‘second wave’ eco-towns.
Sites planned by East Devon District Council and
Fareham Borough Council will join fourteen other
developments from nine local authorities which
could become eco-town settlements. The sites will
have to meet standards set by the eco-towns
planning policy statement for low-carbon communities of at least 5,000 homes.
The eleven second-wave councils will receive a
share of a £10 million fund to help plan the new sites.
Mr Healey also launched a ‘green planning
rulebook’ for councils and pledged £9.75 million to develop green skills.
He announced a consultation on changes to three
planning policy statements which will ensure
councils encourage low carbon and renewable energy on new developments.
The three statements – Climate Change, Natural
Environment, and Coastal Change – will encourage
sustainable developments which aim to reduce
carbon emissions. The additional funding will
help local councils train members and planners in
sustainable planning practices.
Mr Healey said: ‘We know we need greener,
renewable energy if we are to meet our ambitious
low carbon targets. We also know that the ways
and means for people to access this energy need to be quicker and easier.
‘The tougher, better guidelines for planning give
councils a new blueprint, reflecting the latest
targets and ensuring councils put combating
climate change at the heart of future development
– ultimately saving people money on their bills and reducing emissions.’
Planners and builders welcomed the consultation
proposals. Dr Hugh Ellis, chief planner at the
Town and Country Planning Association, said:
‘This is an historic moment. Planning can, and
must, address the critical need to reshape our
society and economy into a positive low carbon future.
‘This policy is one of the most dramatic and
significant steps forward in the development of spatial planning.’
Paul King, chief executive of the UK Green
Building Council, said: ‘Today’s announcement
recognises the critical role that planning plays
in tackling climate change and adapting to its
impacts. Planning really is at the heart of creating sustainable communities.’

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung