Are the bread-heads waking up to reality?

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sun May 1 07:54:01 BST 2011

I've seen some interesting corporate newsletters over the last few months, all
seeming to show that even the most conservative market fundamentalist is
having problems reconciling the spin with the reality of what's happening in
the world of resources.

The following is from Jeremy Grantham of GMO Capital
(http://www.gmo.com/America/ -- a privately held global investment group
managing $107 billion of corporate and public wealth). Obviously, even if it
hasn't hit the floor, the penny is dropping!

P.

http://www.gmo.com/websitecontent/JGLetterALL_1Q11.pdf

Time to Wake Up: Days of Abundant Resources and Falling Prices Are Over
Forever

Jeremy Grantham, Chief Investment Officer, GMO Capital, April 2011

Summary of the Summary

The world is using up its natural resources at an alarming rate, and this has
caused a permanent shift in their value. We all need to adjust our behavior to
this new environment. It would help if we did it quickly.

Summary

# Until about 1800, our species had no safety margin and lived, like other
animals, up to the limit of the food supply, ebbing and flowing in population.

# From about 1800 on the use of hydrocarbons allowed for an explosion in
energy use, in food supply, and, through the creation of surpluses, a dramatic
increase in wealth and scientific progress.

# Since 1800, the population has surged from 800 million to 7 billion, on its
way to an estimated 8 billion, at minimum.

# The rise in population, the ten-fold increase in wealth in developed
countries, and the current explosive growth in developing countries have eaten
rapidly into our finite resources of hydrocarbons and metals, fertilizer,
available land, and water.

# Now, despite a massive increase in fertilizer use, the growth in crop yields
per acre has declined from 3.5% in the 1960s to 1.2% today. There is little
productive new land to bring on and, as people get richer, they eat more
grain-intensive meat. Because the population continues to grow at over 1%,
there is little safety margin.

# The problems of compounding growth in the face of finite resources are not
easily understood by optimistic, short-term-oriented, and relatively
innumerate humans (especially the political variety).

# The fact is that no compound growth is sustainable. If we maintain our
desperate focus on growth, we will run out of everything and crash. We must
substitute qualitative growth for quantitative growth.

# But Mrs. Market is helping, and right now she is sending us the Mother of
all price signals. The prices of all important commodities except oil declined
for 100 years until 2002, by an average of 70%. From 2002 until now, this
entire decline was erased by a bigger price surge than occurred during World
War II.

# Statistically, most commodities are now so far away from their former
downward trend that it makes it very probable that the old trend has changed –
that there is in fact a Paradigm Shift – perhaps the most important economic
event since the Industrial Revolution.

# Climate change is associated with weather instability, but the last year was
exceptionally bad. Near term it will surely get less bad.

# Excellent long-term investment opportunities in resources and resource
efficiency are compromised by the high chance of an improvement in weather next
year and by the possibility that China may stumble.

# From now on, price pressure and shortages of resources will be a permanent
feature of our lives. This will increasingly slow down the growth rate of the
developed and developing world and put a severe burden on poor countries.

# We all need to develop serious resource plans, particularly energy policies.
There is little time to waste.

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc