HSA

Alison Banville alisonbanville at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 20 15:25:02 BST 2011

' The 'Humane' Slaughter Association'; an important issue, because there is no
such thing as humane slaughter -  as absurd as 19th century abolitionists
campaigning for better treatment of African slaves - 'a kinder, gentler,
"Christian slavery."' http://www.humanemyth.org/index.htm
'Objectification, dismemberment,  and consumption are the infrastructure of
>violence. They are the ways in which animals and women are made absent:
>Objectification permits the oppressor to view another being as an object. The
>oppressor then violates this being by object-like treatment, e.g., the rape of
>woman that denies women freedom by saying no or the butchering of animals that
>converts animals from living breathing beings into dead objects. This process
>allows fragmentation, or brutal dismemberment, and finally consumption. . .
>Consumption is the fulfillment of oppression, the annihilation of will, of
>separate identity. ' The Sexual Politics of Meat, Carol Adams
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51714.The_Sexual_Politics_of_Meat

"The idyllic scene was nothing more than death row, where every creature's days
were numbered by the point at which it was no longer of service to human
beings....We can see quite plainly that our present  civilisation is built on
the exploitation of animals, just as past civilisations were built on the
exploitation of slaves..." Donald Watson, co-founder of the vegan movement, who
coined the word 'vegan' in the 1940's.

I suggest a visit to the Humane Myth website, Tribe of Heart's offshoot:
(above):

'Animals who are destined for an abbreviated life that ends in a violent
death now called to my conscience and required me to show up, and where I could,
show what little bit of mercy I can. Since I have made this conscious
decision to show mercy, my life has been blessed a million, million times over
and I have found a deep peace. So no, in my experience, there is no such thing
as humane animal products, humane farming practices, humane transport, orhumane
slaughter.' ex farmer and founder of Farmkind Harold Brown.

And also Professor Gary Francione's brilliant website The Abolitionist
Approach http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/