Local Government Assoc. axed community empowerment from Localism Bill

Michael Macpherson mm at iniref.org
Fri Nov 11 15:10:44 GMT 2011

The Local Government Association represents many hundreds (where is
their membership list?)  of city and district councils. Their income
from fees, paid out of public funds, is substantial.

Their chair bleats triumphantly that the LGA successfully lobbied to
remove from the Localism Bill one of the few potentially useful reforms
towards participative democracy and the much (by ConLibdem) touted
community empowerment.

If you disagree with this policy then ask your Council (if they are LGA
members) to formally complain or consider resigning from the Local
Government Association.

INIREF commented on-line:

http://www.lgcplus.com/briefings/corporate-core/governance/making-the-localism-bill-work-for-councils/5037620.article

Sir Merrick Cockell, chairman, LGA wrote:

"We also worked hard for councils around the issue of local referendums.
.... The LGA succeeded in removing these from the legislation."

(iniref:)
Congratulations. The LGA with accomplices from the building and
development industry lobbies and in cahoots with much of the ruling
class of the three major parties has succeeded to axe that part of the
Localism Bill which was probably the most important to the citizens of
this country.

You have done a great disservice to democracy in England. Repeated
surveys have shown that over seven out of ten British adults approve the
introduction of citizen instigated referenda in local and central
governance.

The Conservative/Liberal-Democrat 2010 coalition agreement contains the
following clear statement, p. 27,

"We will give residents the power to instigate local referendums on any
local issue."

What are the promises of our politicians worth?

signed for,

I&R ~ GB Citizens' Initiative and Referendum
http://www.iniref.org/