The military-fracking complex

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sat Nov 19 07:20:09 GMT 2011

Watch the CBS news item on this web page! (link/details below)

Military tactics and psyops practices being use against anti-gas fracking
groups in the USA? Who would have thought that was possible?

Actually, if you look at the relationship between military psyops groups and
the police and security companies, there's a strong connection between them
all. How this will play out over here, as they ramp up gas fracking to try and
maintain gas supplies, will be an interesting test case for community
democracy -- is this just another example of how the corporate "technocrats"
are taking over public policy?

This also begs the question, what other aspects of controversial public
developments (e.g. climate change/geo-engineering, nuclear power, GM crops,
whatever) will get the same treatment. Companies are already using astroturf
groups to deflect community criticism of wind farm developments; it's only a
short step from that towards (as Bernays put it in the 1920s) "the engineering
of consent" (note, the original text of Bernays' 1947 paper is on the FRAW
site -- http://www.fraw.org.uk/files/political_texts/bernays_1947.pdf ).

If anyone wants a copy of this clip to show/use as part of their campaigns
work, I've ripped the video from the CBS site.

P.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/11/11/gas-companies-caught-using-military-
strategies-to-overcome-drilling-concerns/

Gas Companies Caught Using Military Tactics To Overcome Drilling Concerns

CBS News, November 11, 2011

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The battle over gas drilling is now being compared
to elements of an actual battlefield.

Energy industry officials were caught on tape at a conference in Houston using
military terms to describe their opposition. One company says it uses ex-
military psychological operations experts in its community plans.

The comments came as companies were meeting to talk about strategies for
overcoming concern over practices like hydraulic fracturing, or fracking.

But industry activist Sharon Wilson, who recorded the comments, said it may
have just created more concern.

“I had just a moment of sheer terror,” Wilson said.

The first line came in a presentation from a representative of Anadarko
Petroleum.

“Download the US Army/Marine Corp counter insurgency manual. Because we are
dealing with an insurgency,” he said.

Matt Carmichael went on to recommend attendees read Rumsfeld’s Rules, from
former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

In another session, referring to those comments about the military, Range
Resources Matt Pitzarella said, “We have several former psy-ops (psychic-
operations) folks that work for us at Range, because they’re very comfortable
dealing with localized issues and local governments.”

“Really all they do is spend most of their time helping folks develop local
ordinances.”

Some energy and business experts who spoke to CBS11 said there is no
conspiracy by energy companies in using military psy-ops experts. Experiences
in a war zone, they said, can go a long way to dealing with emotional issues
here at home.

The Army’s website classifies psy-ops and public relations as different
specialties. It describes psy-ops as influencing reasoning and, ultimately, the
behavior of governments, groups and individuals.

Calvin Tillman, the former mayor of the Denton County town of Dish who had
difficulties with the industry, said he wasn’t surprised to find the industry
turning to military psychological experts to deal with government.

“If you have a certain problem, or if you have a certain concern, they know
how to make you feel at ease with what’s going on,” Tillman said.

Wilson says the recordings prove activists aren’t just paranoid about industry
tactics.

“If they would drill better, if they could do this right, then they wouldn’t
have to employ such extreme measures,” he said.

In a response to using the term “insurgency,” The Woodlands-based Anadarko
Petroleum released this statement to CBS 11:

    “The reference was not reflective of our core values. Our community efforts
are based upon open communication, active engagement and transparency, which
are all essential in building fact-based knowledge and earning public trust.”

Range Resources did not respond to calls or emails requesting comment.

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc